We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best value in Dublin.......

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
The best value in Dublin.......

.....must be the Trinity College Tour.

This is run by students and costs €10 INCLUDING entrance to The Book of Kells which costs €8.

so for €2, you get shown round the college with the various buildings pointed out and anecdotes told about them.

It beats just wandering about looking at the buildings.

There are quite a few tours during the day, it lasts 30 minutes and ends a few yards from the entrance to the Book of Kells.

Note: you don't get priority entrance with the tour.

The young guy (a second year student) who took our tour was great.

You can do the tour without the Book of Kells entrance fee but it costs €5.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Thanks for that insight, prettypolly. It's something I didn't know about.

Who says Dublin has to be expensive? Yesterday, needing a cup of tea, we stopped at the glorious Cafe en Seine in Dawson Street. A pot of tea for 3 (two pots actually), providing two very large cups of tea each, waiter served, cost 5 euros in total. We chose to sit outside enjoying the view of the Mansion House, but could have sat inside amid the sumptuous splendour of the cafe.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Absolutely!

Lots of museums in Dublin are free, and of course, the fabulous statues.

The Famine Figures were haunting, as was The Children of Lir in the Garden of Remembrance.

I sat and had a chat with 'The Hags with the Bags' and we thought the James Joyce, Molly Malone, Oscar Wilde and Phil Lynott statues were good too.

We managed to get photos of those WITHOUT anyone else in.

I'd listened to 'Grace' (about Grace Gifford who married Joseph Mary Plunkett in Kilmainham Gaol on the eve of his execution) on youtube sung by both Andrew Kearns (? I think) and The WolfTones and found the story and song very moving.

The tour of Kilmainham Gaol was amazing value at €5.30.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

I love to take away brunch from the Avoca cafe on Suffolk St and head up to Merrion Square. There are much less people around. In Avoca, you can get scones (with their jam & cream ), rustic homemade bread, quiche, wraps, self-service salad bar, and then, the heavenly desserts.... Fill you up for the whole day. And we always sit on the Dermot Morgan chair in the park and have a giggle. Free fun Hee Heee

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

great info from everyone...Im taking it with me for my visit in Aug..I had heard horror stories about Dublin being expensive, but I see that there are ways to enjoy and cut costs..I always like to travel 'on the cheap' and appreciate these kind of tips....

does the Trinity tour have to be pre-booked, or is it possible to just show up?

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Hi, Just arrive at Front Arch of Trinity. You'll see a reading lectern/stand indicating the next tour time. B

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Avion

If you go to pigsback.ie you will find lots of vouchers to print off for two for the price of one type offers in Dublin restaurants and cafes. We recently had a great meal at Captain America's on Grafton Street, on a lively Saturday night, paying only 12.50 for two main courses and sharing an enormous ice cream sundae, using the voucher.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Avion

we spent 4 days in Dublin, we purchased a 2 day Dublin Pass on line, this gives free entry into a number of attractions including Guinness Storehouse, Jameson's Distillery and the Zoo - all of which are fairly pricey.

You get a discount on the price of the pass if you buy on-line.

www.dublinpass.ie

We picked our pass up at the airport Information Centre.

NOTE:

It's valid for actual days i.e. all of Sunday NOT 24 hours.

We also purchased a hop-on hop-off city bus tour on-line.

This is for 24 hours so if you first use it at 11:30am Sunday, it's valid until that time on Monday.

We used this to visit the more out-of-the-way places such as Kilmainham Gaol.

The tour is good to give you an orientation of the city, it's 90 minutes for the full loop.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

hey guys...just got back from Dublin, and really, its no more expensive than any other European city...you just have to watch, and prioritize! We loaded up at our breakie in the am, grabbed lite bites during the day, and enjoyed great measl at night..thankjs to the website Irishrover supplied. And I think we knew all of the Hop on/off guides by first name at the end of our 24hours. thanks for all the great info..sure helps when they are 5 of us!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Just one final suggestion. Kilkenny Design (in Nassau Street) do a full buffet-style Irish breakfast for 7 Euro (including tea/coffee, toast and five cooked items). Surroundings are great (you can sit at a window table overlooking the grounds of Trinity College in the distance). And Kilkenny are the best when it comes to cooking sausages, bacon, puddings, eggs and mushrooms. Delicious. Open from 8.30 a.m. through to 11 a.m. for breakfast every weekday. Also a great spot for lunches cooked with fresh vegetables or intensely delicious salads.

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best value in Dublin.......

Insightful ---

This sounds like a great deal for breakfast. Thanks for the suggestion. I've already printed off directions to get there.