We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

i paid 374 eu for my 3 tix with ryan air (after all charges this was the amount on my receipt.)

@ the time the exchange rate stated that this should have been equal to $580 USD. when i get my credit card bill i was charged 615 USD.

so now i am in the middle of a dispute, as per VISA ryan air has rejected my claim with no kind of documentation and it is now up to me to provide further documentation to support my case.

VISA says that it is ryan air that implemented this conversion rate not VISA. i always thought the Credit Card company to to the conversion.

sorry if this is long and boring, and i know it's only $35 USD but i am mad!!!!!

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

It very well could have been that darned "dynamic currency conversion". Like you said, usually, the credit card company does the conversion and just charges a nominal conversion fee, usually 1-3% or so. However, lately the merchants now have the option of doing the currency conversion, it will show as US dollars on your receipt and by doing so, they are allowed to take a cut for themselves too. I ran into several places in the UK and Ireland in June that offered to ring up my purchases in US dollars. I always declined knowing that it would be cheaper to let the credit card company do the conversion.

This is one possible explanation for the discrepency, however, it may be something totally different. I did think that merchants were required to ask first and not just automatically do the dynamic conversion. Of course with Ryanair the asking was probably buried in fine print and lumped into the "check if you agree to terms and conditions" clause.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

As far as I know that conversion tool is driven by the RyanAir webpage and is only as accurate as they make it. I wouldn't expect it to be as accurate as a financial page, and I think they have a disclaimer somewhere on the site - currency conversions are guidelines only, or something.

However it looks like you were charged 1.64 which seems high, while Ryanair quoted 1.55.

This site http://www.xe.com/ict/ will give you the historical MID-RANGE rate so you can check what the rate was when you booked.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
551 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

Ryanair also put an extra charge on a credit card for each ticket purchased.

Just one of many reasons I don't fly with them.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

Newgrange, unfortunately those of us on the west coast don't have the choice of airlines available to people in the Dublin area.

Since Aer Lingus pulled the Shannon Heathrow route, I travel with Ryanair all the time.

They have a great array of destinations available out of Shannon, and I must say that I now travel to destinations I would not have got to without them.

Penny, I am sorry to hear about your trouble with the conversion rate.

Did it show the USD equivalent on your original booking receipt with Ryanair?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

no it did not show the USD price on my original invoice.

the thing that makes me so mad is that they have no documentation to prove how they arrived @ 615 USD. as proof they just sent this barely legible invoice that says i paid 374euros. and now the CC company is saying it's up to me to send some proof, so i am sending them a copy of what the exchange rate was on may 1st, the day a bought the tickets.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

Agreed Bannergirl

Ryanair are great for us in the west and have opened up so many oppertunities to travel. I personally have never had a bad experience with them and travel with them when I can, but I have also heard horror stories about them.

Penny07 - I suspect the exchange rate would have been based on the exchange rate on the day Ryanair applied the bill to your card (this may not have been the day you booked as it can sometimes take a day or two for the transaction to go through) so maybe this is where the discrapancy is?

Its similar to getting foreign exchange, even if you book your currency a week in advance, you will get the exchange rate on the day you collect and pay for your currency.

I know you say it is the principle you are mad about and not the money (and you are right), but Ryanair generally dont refund any money, please dont let this spoil your trip though, annoying as it is!.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

Fly Ryan Air only as a last resort.....!

8. Re: ryan air woes ----- and i have not even flown yet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 23:16