We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this plan reasonable?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
600 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Is this plan reasonable?

We will arrive in Dublin on a Tuesday morning after our wedding & an overnight flight. We expect to be exhausted.

We can't check in until about 3 pm but plan to drop our bags & hop some type of sightseing bus to kind of get an overview that requires very little participation on our part. lol Any suggestions for which is the best?

Then we will head to the hotel to start our honeymoon ;) & take a nap. Yeah I know . . . jet lag, get accustomed to the time zone etc. Don't care.

We'll have dinner somewhere low key.

Wednesday can we fit in the zoo, Trinty College / book of kells & the Guiness Factory tour before we have to meet our group Thursday for lunch?

TIA

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

My favourite bit is the 'starting the honeymoon' bit. Lots of snugglies I suppose ;-))

What you are doing on Wednesday is too busy I think so you should rethink. The zoo alone is at least half a day and getting to and from there will take time too.

If the weather is good,I suggest a romantic stroll around the Botanic gardens in Glasnevin. Admission is free.

I suggest you find out if the group you are meeting is going to bring you to any of the places you mentioned and then knock them off your Wednesday list.

If not, I think you could probably fit in the Zoo and the Guinness tour if you start the day fairly early. Guinness brewery is not very far from the zoo in Phoenix park but you would probably need to get a taxi.

For a low key meal, we loved the Town Bar and Grill on Kildare street (have a look here www.townbarandgrill.com) Kildare street is a very famous one, our government are based there at the impressive Leinster House.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

I have not taken the city bus tour but it is a good choice for your first day. www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/cityTour.aspx

Since you will have time, perhaps get off at the Zoo stop and take your time exploring that your first day. Then begin the next day with the Book of Kells and onto the Storehouse. Not sure when (time of year) you are arriving but I would suggest taking the 30 min students guided tour of Trinity and purchasing you Book of Kells ticket from them E10 total (just E1 over the price of Book of Kells ticket only). I think this will allow you to skip a line for the Library portion and many visitors have complained about having to stand in line.

This other link suggests it is running a different city tour but it seems like it is the same one? www.irishcitytours.com/hop_graylinedublin.htm

NJ
Level Contributor
600 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

Thank you both. No our organized tour doesn't do any other things we were thinking of on our own.

I'm OK with doing the zoo quickly. Do animals in Europe really look that much different than the ones we have in America? lol

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

the hop on hop off bus tour tickets are valid for 24 hours. so if you buy one on the tuesday say about 12 then you can still use it on wednesday up to that time.

I would suggest you use this in your first couple of days to get to the sights. Do a complete loop of the tour and then stop off at what interests you on the second loop. You can easily walk from the zoo to the Guinness Storehouse. The bus tour loop stops at Guinness before the zoo so you can do it in that order too if you want to have some tipsy conversations with the animals!

I highly recommend you visit Kilmainham Gaol also. It is close to Guinness also and it gives a huge insight into Irish history and the struggle for freedom.

Where are you staying? As this may impact how you get around and what order you visit things

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

A trip out to Dalkey on Dart is nice, it travels along the coast and some nice views. Dalkey is a lovely village where a lot of Irish celebrities live including members of U2. You could have dinner there - quite a number of restaurants and nice bars.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

"Do animals in Europe really look that much different than the ones we have in America?"

Yes, they are all green and most are Tigers, Celtic Tigers. ;-))

The zoo is very nice, I like it, having said that I've never been to another zoo to compare it to, so I may not be the best person to recommend.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

Personally I think a zoo is a zoo no matter where you see it (except for Bryno's tigers but unfortunately they are becoming an endangered species).

Its a nice day out but its not exactly a taste of Ireland. Given the time you will have in Dublin I would recommend giving it a miss and doing some of the other attractions instead.

NJ
Level Contributor
600 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

While I am loathe to miss the green Celtic tigers, we will look into Kilmainham Gaol. We really only have about 1 1/2 days in Dublin before the tour starts.

Thank you all.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

The Gaols (Jails) are pretty full of animals too these days, so you could kill two tigers with one stone.

Of course I jest, there are no inmates in Kilmainham these days so no need to bring your riot gear, just your chillin' gear.

10. Re: Is this plan reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 13:21