We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Pin #-How many digits?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
ATM Pin #-How many digits?

I apologize if this is a duplicate post but I am sure I posted it earlier,just can see it anywhere. I am traveling to Ireland, Italy, and Scotland for 2 weeks beginning this Friday and plan to use ATM's during my vacation. I am intested in knowing how many digits are necessary in pin numbers for ATM. I have heard 4,5 and even more # are required but need to sort out what is correct before I leave.

Anyone got the straight scoop??

Thanks.

-Ed

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

As far as I know, your pin number is whatever your bank gives you - you can change the number but I think it has to be the same number of digits.

Its not so much how many numbers you need, as knowing what your pin number is before you get here.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

You need a 4 digit PIN linked to your checking account.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

As Doneraile and Sally have said, it is the PIN number your bank has already assigned to you and is coded on your card. The US based bank cards are 4 numbers, in Europe they have longer PIN numbers, up to 6 I believe. Don't worry, your PIN number that you always use at the ATM's at home will work on your trip abroad. Enjoy your trip - sounds like you are going to be exhausted after only 2 weeks in 3 countries - whew!

Nashville
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

As long as you dont have letters in your PIN you should be okay. I believe that ATMs in Europe are numerical only.I have also heard in the past that having any zeroes in you PIN might make it hard to use it as well.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

I'm living in Ireland and my PIN is 4 digit and has zeros. I would be very surprised if your US ATM card did not work in Ireland as my Irish card works in US ATMs.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

Some Americans have experienced difficulties in using a five-digit pin number in Ireland (where four digits represent the standard for Pin numbers). So you really should speak to your bank(s) before you leave, ChapAtlanta. They will clarify matters for you.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

hi ed, i have a four digit number and never had a problem with it...

just have to say, wow, 3 countries in 2 weeks?...that's not enough time to see anyone of these you mentioned much less 3....am curious to know how much time you will spend in each country....

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

Chap Atlanta...You probably know this but be sure and notify your credit card company you are leaving the country and tell them the dates you are going to be there or they will shut your card down quicker than anything!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

oh, atexaninireland is absolutely correct...i found out the week before i left that my bank does not honor any overseas purchases made with my atm unless they have a letter from me with the dates i will be leaving and the dates i will be returning....i only found this out because i went in to tell my banker that if my atm card didn't work, he could get his butt on a plane and bring me some cash...lol...the lady who is over the atm card transactions overheard us and ask if i had given her a letter saying i wanted that block lifted?.....good grief....wouldn't that have been a mess, me ending us in ireland with $200 on me and a not working atm card....yikes!!!

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM Pin #-How many digits?

My (slightly paranoid) sister has an 8 digit pin number and this was too many digits to be entered in a cash machine. She just went into the bank and they were able to do the withdrawal entering the info by hand.

I had no problem with my 4 digit pin at ATMs.

And I never had a problem making a purchase with just my signature. I had read that cards might require a pin number at, say, a restaurant, but I didn't run into that anywhere. Just used it like a regular credit card here in the states.