We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
central florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Any tips for a first time Western visitor to Ireland on what not to say or do ?

Thanks in advance

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

I love a good oul Western, they don't seem to make them as much anymore though.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

I think the best advice is to just remember why you are here - to experience a different culture and a different country. Don't tell the locals how much better organised things are in Florida! Now I am guilty of jumping to conclusions and stereotyping - its very easy to do.

There are lots of threads on local customs and tipping etc, put a keyword into the search box just at the top of this column.

The most usual discussions are about tipping and pub etiquette - you usually go to the bar and order for yourself, if you order Guiness expect it to be poured over several minutes - the barman hasn't just gone off to serve someone else if he leaves it half filled. You don't generally tip in a pub - if the barman has been very chatty or obliging you might say 'have one yourself'. He won't stand and drink with you, but he will add the price of a pint to what you pay. If there is table service then you tip as you feel appropriate, though amounts tend to be less rather than more than what you would give in the States. In B&Bs you don't usually tip but you will find discussions on that as well.

On the whole though, don't worry and just come and enjoy your holiday.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Blimey Doneraile I though it was only the Brits that made a habit of telling everybody how much better things are back home!

bristol
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Hows about NOT referring to yourself as a western visitor? what does this mean. western as in USA or western as in a member of the western world countries? watch yo language.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

galle - well there you go, first thing not to say or do - although when I first read your post, I thought that you were visiting the west for the first time.

Doneraile has given you some good advice there - and here's an idea to pass the time while waiting for that pint of G!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuEtGPXLPI

There was an excellent post by a guy americandoofus sometime ago, but I think that TA eventually pulled it.

Sometimes being political and sound sensitive goes a long way, so go, relax - although maybe avoid ultra conservative politics?

Hope you have a great time.

central florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Guess I should of said I'm a US citizen and my first time visiting Ireland (actually my first visit outside of the US). That was a cool ad on youtube.

Not much of a beer drinker, more like Irish Whiskey but I'm going have to try one of those slowwww pour beers.

Thanks to all for your advice

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Don't say St Patty's day, and give a street its full name rather than just the first half of it.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

don't try to discuss the "troubles" that were in the North,you could get into a right row.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

My first visit to Irleand left many a barman with raised eyebrows because I tipped!

Same as anywhere: no controversial religion, political or personal problems/ icky ailments!

After that-ask away. You'll never leave a pub without conversation. And it's a great way to try some of the whiskey you haven't drank before. I've been in a number of impromptu tastings just for asking the merits of this or that one!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What NOT to say or do in Ireland ?

Always tip your hat and say "Top o'de Mornin' to ya" to the Leprechauns.

NEVER criticize an Irish Mammy (she's up there with the Holy Trinity).