We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

Newcastle
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

I am going to Dublin in January with my daughter for her 19th birthday for 2 nights and we are now being told by anyone & everyone that it is ridiculously expensive! My expereince of this kind of thing in the past is that; if you are sensible about where you go & what you do then it does not have to be as bad as people say (Italy being a perfect example of that!).

Can anyone advise me & give me a rough idea of the price for a glass of wine, meal for two etc, and any tips on how to make sure you are getting the best value from your stay there?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

"it is ridiculously expensive"

'Anyone and Everyone' are not very descriptive or accurate as it's not ridiculously expense. Areas of Dublin City (like all cities) are expensive and other areas are not as expensive.

Concentrate on what you are going to do when you get here rather than the cost, it is only for two nights after all.

To get an idea of eating out options and approx cost have a look at this great site: www.menupages.ie it lists hundreds of Dublin restaurants and you can search by area/cuisine/cost

Were you thinking of drinking a lot of wine? If you were, then maybe bring an extra €50, if not, don't worry about it.

You and your 19year old daughter will have a great time there.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

I didn't mean to give the impression that I am not prepared to pay for a good meal / glass of wine or that I dont appreciate the costs when eating out in any major city - it just that the first thing anyone has said when I have told them that I am going to Dublin is that it is REALLY expensive, so just wanted the low down from 'those in the know' so that I am prepared! Thanks for the web site re places to eat - I am sure we will have a great time!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
552 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

There are plenty of places and ways to eat on a budget in Dublin.

Obviously most tourists hang out in tourist traps like Temple Bar and get fleeced.

A number of restaurants have 'early bird' deals which provide good value.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

I think one of the problems is that people look at €10 and subconsciously think £10. I honestly don't think that Ireland is any more expensive than equivalent places in the UK. In January you should be able to get good value in accommodation - on the whole I think hotels are a better bet than b&bs in Dublin (though not elsewhere in Ireland). As the others have said, stay out of the tourist traps, and while its not cheap, its not outrageous either.

Your opinions would be welcome when you get back :)

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

We are getting a bad name for the cost, which we deserve. Having said that, I am finding England is getting dearer for food and drink with little in the difference apart that is from say eating and drinking in Weaterspoons. You will pay the guts of 5 euro for a glass of wine and anything from 75 euro for a 3 course meal for two with a bottle of wine.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

Dublin is no more expensive than any other European capital city...in fact it is less expensive than most ( Think London, Paris, Rome etc)

I think the biggest factor affecting people from the UK at the moment is that sterling is the weakest it's been in years so your pound will not go as far as it used to.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

Ireland overall is ridiculously expensive compared to other European countries - In fact I think only one place is actually more expensive than Ireland (I think it could be Finland, or Iceland or one of those places).

Dublin then is more expensive than any other county in Ireland, it being the capital and all. Of course there is places that you can go so that you don't have to pay top price - i.e. avoid the tourist areas, but if you are only there for two days do you really want to spend that time looking at menus to suit your budget.

I don't think people look at 10 Euro and decide its 10 Sterling - people are away of the conversion and know it is not the same value.

I would say budget for 100 - 120 Euro per night for a meal for two with a bottle of wine - and that wouldn't be going totally upmarket, but it wouldn't be seeking the budget price either.

Other than that I would say just to head for the pubs and have dinner pub style instead of restaurant style - it could work out a lot cheaper for you.

But don't let people tell you Dublin is not expensive - it is, and so is the rest of Ireland compared to most other places.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

I think it could be. I think???

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

The usual measured, informed response from Whales.

Simple test. Compare prices for a coffee, a beer, a hotel room and taxi fare in city centre Dublin, London, Rome, Paris, Madrid.

You'll find very quickly that we are competitively priced compared to other European Capital Cities.

There is particulally good value to be had at the moment due to the economic downturn. Many hotels and restaurants are doing very good deals such as three nights for the price of two or set lucnh and dinner deals.

Either way, there are plenty of good reasonably priced restuaurants in the city where you can have dinner for two with wine for about €70-€80. If you like good quality authentic Italian food, visit www.dunneandcrescenzi.com. They have a few different restaurants around the city where you can eat very well and drink excellent wine for modest money.

Alternatively, check out www.yamamorinoodles.ie. They serve good Japanese food and their places have a great atmosphere. There are six restaurants between these two groups where you can eat very well for about €70 for two with wine. There are lots of other examples if you look around.

You hit the nail on the head that like Italy, you can find good quality and value here if you look in the right places.

I think the purpose of a site like Tripadvisor is for local people to make the effort to suggest ideas that will help visitors to get the most out of their trip. Sadly, there is an element within Irish society that prefers to take the lazy option and give blanket tabloid opinions that require no effort whatsoever on their part and are consequently of no use to the person who has posted a request for information.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Dublin REALLY that expensive once you are there??

"Or one of those places". You know you might catch a rash or get something. Do I need injections? Please tell us more.

www.43places.com/