We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto or Train?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Auto or Train?

I'll be in Dublin for 8 days . I will be going to Belfast and would also like to visit some other areas, Cork and the western area of Ireland.

Would it be cheaper to rent an auto or do it all by train?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto or Train?

A car would be alot more expensive, but that's the way to go. Maybe you and Uglypup could share the costs. Birds of a feather. Lol. Cheers.

Dublin
Level Contributor
793 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto or Train?

Hi Plugugly,

The cost of car hire is very linked to your own individual requirements - i.e. size of party (economy v's SUV?), your insurance requirements (certain Credit Cards help here).

Gas has gone up by about 20 per cent in recent months, and certainly around Dublin a car can be more an inconvenience, due to traffic congestion. Most sights can be seen by foot, on a hop on hop off bus, or along the DART (suburban rail line).

Cork and Belfast are also easy and quick to get to by train. However, the Western region has very limited train routes, mainly just Galway, Westport and Limerick.

One suggestion might be train on the East Coast, train to Cork, train to Galway, and hire a car from there?

Hope this helps.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Auto or Train?

Thanks to all for the advice!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auto or Train?

Dublinlocal's advice is impeccable. And - with its narrow and winding roads - Connemara is great fun to drive around.