We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U2 in Croke Park next summer

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
U2 in Croke Park next summer

I've seen chatter about the possibility that U2 will do a couple of dates in Dublin late July or early August of 2009. As it stands now, we're planning to fly back to the U.S. from Paris on July 29th, but if these rumours are substantiated, I might change my itinerary and put Dublin on the end of my trip rather than the start.

I saw U2 for the first time in 1985 in Germany, and 3x after that in the states. The first show was by far the best. Seeing them in Dublin would be the ultimate I'm sure.

Anyway, I know sometimes the local buzz precedes the official information release. I'm curious to know if any of the locals here have heard anything or can provide any more information.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

Its very possible and if so hotels will fill up fast. I recently heard before the public release that Bon Jovi was playing and booked Jurys Croke Park Hotel before they scandalised the prices again.

Jurys Croke is literally 200mtrs across the road. Great location. So, if you do hear anything early then prebook this hotel directly with the hotel. Then at least you will have a room at a good price and if the dates change you can move your room whilst still holding that rate(only if you are stubborn) and because you book direct you should be able to cancel without penalty.

Im sorry. I have heard nothing about U2. I did a search through a very very busy Irish Forum(outside TA :( ) and there is nothing mentioned.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,105 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

From the Croke Park website, their schedule, not sure who the "potential concert date" is for, but doesn't appear U2 will be playing there in early August anyway...

19th July Potential Concert date

1st August GAA All Ireland Football Quarter Finals

2nd August GAA All Ireland Football Quarter Finals

3rd August GAA All Ireland Football Quarter Finals - tbc

9th August Nickey Rackard Final & GAA All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi Finals

16th August Christy Ring Cup Final & GAA All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi Finals

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

Yeah, I saw where the potential dates that U2 would be available to play Croke park were conflicting with GAA, and they were still trying to hash out whether it would be Croke park or Phoenix park. Either way, it seemed like the concert itself is going to take place. It's just uncertain yet where and the exact dates. Of course it's all speculation at this point, but as soon as it's announced there will be a zillion people all trying to get hotels.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

I have been keeping regular tabs for U2 tickets, and did a very thorough check yesterday - no dates set yet.

Log onto their web site and request updates.

Manchester
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

There is no point in speculating, just wait until the official dates come out and then book the hotel FAST!!! In 2005 when they last performed in Dublin, near certain dates came out and quite a few friends booked hotels on the strength of this and when the official dates came out they were nothing like them!!! Of course as long as you can book the hotel without penalty on cancellation it really doesn't matter.

If this tour follows the same format as the Vertigo tour they will head to the States first and then come back to Europe in the so called summer (!!!) months! However last time the album was released in November and they started the tour in March but this time the album isn't released until March so they might not start until later in the year!

In other words, sorry for all this, I don't have anymore idea than anyone else!!! We will have to wait and see!

A word of warning though, only go with the dates that are officially announced on the band's website. You will find ticket agencies will start to advertise top price tickets shortly with specific dates - don't touch them - they are speculating! Also be careful when booking a hotel as last time a lot of them doubled their price. I stayed in the Eliza Lodge who honoured their normal price.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

Well, I have a hotel booked in Dublin for the beginning of July and the end of July, even though they are both with non-refundable deposits. Hopefully I will get lucky. If the dates end up being anything different, I probably won't be able to make it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

"A word of warning though, only go with the dates that are officially announced on the band's website. You will find ticket agencies will start to advertise top price tickets shortly with specific dates - don't touch them -"

Great advice - thanks!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

The waiting is killing me! Still no news and it's so frustrating trying to make my summer plans around this potential concert :-(

I read somewhere the owner of Slane castle had a website shut down that was selling tickets for a fictional U2 show there on July 1st. And Bono said the tour is going to start in Spain in June. But that's all the new information I have.

Manchester
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

I've heard the tour will start in Barcelona on 5 July - but of course it is all speculation at the moment. Its impossible to try and "guess" dates and venues. My friend met Bono in Dublin last week and he confirmed they will be starting in Spain. Although he told me last April that the album would be out in November and its coming out in March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been numerous newspaper adverts regarding tour dates (as there always is) as I mentioned earlier, just DON'T touch them no matter how tempting it may be to take a chance! They don't know anymore than we do - U2 keep things very close to their chest and until the official dates are announced on u2.com we will just have to be patient!!! LOL

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U2 in Croke Park next summer

Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one who is still in the dark ;-)