We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to do in and around dublin?

connecticut
5 posts
Save Topic
to do in and around dublin?

i'm leaving tomorrow for a trip to ireland for one week. i have most of it planned, we'll be renting a car and touring from shannon to dublin, but i'm trying to figure out what to do the last few days. Here is my drafted itinerary, i'd love some input & any & all suggestions!

Day 5: Drive from Cahir(where we stayed night 4) to-

Glendalough, Wicklow Mountains

Kilkea Castle, Kildare

Stay: Kilkea Castle

Day 6: Newgrange

Malahide Castle

go to Dublin- maybe Guiness Factory tour (for my husband :)

Stay: somewhere in Dublin City

Day 7: Sightsee around Dublin

Depart from Dublin Airport at 5:20 pm

is this too much to do, or too much driving? am i seeing the good stuff in the area? any ideas would be great!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to do in and around dublin?

Why Cahir???? Go to Cashel and see the rock of Cashel...beautiful.

Going from Wicklow to Kildare to Dublin is doubling back on yourself, but a beautiful drive through the Wicklow mountains (unless there is a fog down and you'll see nothing!). Malahide Castle is disappointing...better to go to Powerscourt in Wicklow while you are there. Newgrange is good too...but go on the Knowth tour (not the Newgrange one)...more intesting and more to see.

When you get to Dublin the best 'tour' to do is the Viking Splash tour...leaves from near St Patricks Cathedral...it's really good fun and an alternative to the tour bus. I went on it recently with my friends (all in their 20s) and sent my parents on it afterwards...we all loved it.

Guinness hopstore is ok. Self guided tour...the usual...beautiful building, but queues can be v long at weekends - not sure if it's worth the wait! Seemingly (I haven't been) the irish distillery tour in Smithfield is good. Christchurch Cathedral is a must, donation entry fee (you decide how much), self guided tour, with cool vaults underneath!

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to do in and around dublin?

Your itinerary looks fine. After visiting Newgrange you should also visit the Hill of Tara which is only a short drive away - say about 12 miles. Its significance is more symbolic than visual, because it is really probably not that impressive to look at. However, because of its role as the seat of the ancient high kings of Ireland plus its associations with Saint Patrick it is one of the country's most important archeological sites.

Take a look at the following link for further information:

http://www.knowth.com/tara-images.htm

My top sightseeing recommendations in Dublin would be;

Christchurch Cathedral

Kilmainham Gaol

Trinity College & Book of Kells

Saint Stephen's Green

Dublin Castle

St. Patrick's Cathedral

National Gallery of Ireland

Hugh Lane Gallery

St Michan's Church

Hope this helps & enjoy your stay.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to do in and around dublin?

I liked the Writer's Museum (on Parnell Square) and the National Gallery was excellent as well.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: to do in and around dublin?

If you want to learn a bit about the history of Dublin try City Hall on Dame st. They have an exhibition there, video, interactive guides, relics, etc. Really interesting and you can stay for as long or short as you like. Averages about 45 mins. It's only €4 in

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to do in and around dublin?

Bear in mind teacher 88 that there are four sites which are very close to each other. So, you could visit Dublin Castle and then take the five minute walk up the street to Christchurch Cathedral. Having exited Christchurch, walk underneath the part of the church which forms an arch over the road and wander down to the Liffey river. On the other side of the river, you will find St. Michan's crypt. Having met the denizens of the crypt, you will discover that Irish Distillers is only another 5 minutes walk away and you can sample some good Irish whiskey (if this takes your fancy).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to do in and around dublin?

Just got back 2 weeks ago.

Newgrange and Knowth, a combined tour from the visitors centre. They have buses to take you out directly.

Dublin:

Must see:

Kilmainham Gaol, 10 minutes (walking) further than Guinness storehouse.

Dublin Castle, great tour

National Gallery

Book of Kells and the long room at Trinity College

We hated driving in Dublin. We rented a car for the rest of the country but were going to return it when we got to Dublin. We had the "can't get there from here" issue with getting to our hotel even though we had 4 maps to show us when the hotel's located. Didn't need a car in Dublin, it was nicer and easier just to walk.