We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail from dublin to belfast

Athens
Level Contributor
571 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
rail from dublin to belfast

I want to travel from dublin to belfast by train. How much time does it take? what is the cost? do you think i will have to book it earlier on line or i can buy a ticket from the station when i am there, bearing in mind that i will be there at about 15 of july. is there a check of passports at the borders? the currency in north ireland is brittish pound?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

Journey time is about 2 hours. Standard return ticket is €40.

You can book on line and collect the ticket at the station. However, I don't think that there should be a problem getting your ticket immediately before you travel as the service does not appear to get overcrowded - but I would book in advance just to be sure.

There is normally no passport check - though there can be occcasional spot checks for illegal immigrants but these do not appear to be that frequent. The

british pound (sterling) is the currency in Northern Ireland though many larger shops etc. will accept Euro

Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
419 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

I have been looking at the same train trip and it appears to be a little over two hours each way with service every 90-120 minutes. I tried to buy a ticket online for my trip in April, but it says you can't buy tickets until 28 days before departure?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

I have never tried to book Irish Rail on line too far in advance of a trip but as services are fairly frequent, I don't foresee any problem getting tickets online within the 28 day pre-departure timescale.

Mentioned in this post
Irish Rail
Irish Rail
183 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

The bus service between Dublin and Belfast is about half the price the train costs, unless you get a promotional deal on line. The bus only take about 30 mins more. Bus Eireann, Aircoach and Ulsterbus all run coach service.

Regards,

Supervanman.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Aircoach
Aircoach
308 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
calgary
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

hello , thanks so much for your info..i have tried to see on Enterprise Train for booking a couple of tkts Belfast to Dublin..but there doesnt seem to be anywhere on the site where i can book..do you have the link? best rgds, mo

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
belfast
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

have a look at aircoach.com

7. Re: rail from dublin to belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 03:17