We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

Level Contributor
119 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

We are arriving in Dublin on April 3 and planning on staying a few days in Dublin. Then renting a van and spending our time in Doolin area and Dingle area.

Our flight home also leaves out of Dublin. We are thinking of flying Ryanair out of Kerry to Dublin to give us more time to tour and not have to drive back to Dublin just for the flight.

Ryanair is showing the flight we need for $26 USD. Can this really be right? Has anyone did anything similar?

Thanks,

Beth

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

Hi Beth,

Ryanair is a no frill airline. You can get great deals on the basic ticket price, but then its up to you what add on's you require and Ryanair will charge you for most things.

If you can travel with only hand luggage (size and weight restrictions apply) then you can also choose on line check in. This all keeps costs down.

As you mention the U.S.A then I assume you will have bags to go into the planes hold.The price begins to rise when you have bags to check in. You will be charged for every bag that has to go into the hold of the plane. If you have bags to check in, then you have to pay for airport check in. They also give you the option of being one of the first to board the plane, another charge if you want it and also try to sell you travel insurance. First on and travel insurance are your choice and can be cancelled as you go through the booking. They also have strict weight restrictions on the bags and will charge if the bags are over weight. Hand baggage can also be sent to the hold at extra cost if to big or heavy. This is up to the check in staff, some will let you go some will not.

The cost of flying Ryanair can change every day. Keep a watch on the web site for deals and promotions. When to book is up to you. Flights we wanted went down 60 euro over 3 days this week.

Dont forget the basic price can rise with the add on's. Go through the booking putting in what you want and taking out what you do not need. Keep a watch as the cost adds up.

Regards,

Supervanman.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

Beth, it has been my experience that if you have bags to check in you can multiply the intial cost displayed on the Ryanair flight x 3. So you say it's $26, I would not be surprised if that rose to $78 approx by the time you are finished the transation. Apart from luggage charges there are also other charges that sneak on as the transaction proceeds.

The cheapest way to fly with Ryanair is to go with a carry on bag that is under the restriction weight and not to choose any of the extras that are offered i.e. travel insurance, and priority boarding + possible others that I cannot think of at the moment.

My problem in general is that I always have a bag to check in and it is quite likey that you will too.

The drive from Dingle to Dublin is 225 miles and is estimated at least 5 hours driving.

The other thing to take into consideration is the timing of the flight from Kerry to Dublin and whether it fits in with the timing of your flight back to USA.

Also, do you know if you will be able to drop off your rental van in County Kerry?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

Apologies this " if you have bags to check in you can multiply the intial cost displayed on the Ryanair flight x 3"

Should read:

"if you have bags to check in you can multiply the intial cost displayed (INCLUDING TAXES) on the Ryanair flight x 3"

By the way this is my opinion and is based on my last trip from Cork To London to Klagenfurt with Ryanair.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

As Bryno mentioned you may have difficulty picking up a van in Dublin and returning it to Kerry.

And I'll assume with you renting a van you will have lots of people and or lots of luggage. So the Ryanair option will most likely not be a cheap one. $26 or E26 is about mid price for a DUB KIR flight and they often have some for E0 yes that's right zero euros - you pay the taxes, etc, etc. Here is a link for Ryanair charges www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES You will most likely have to pay the luggage fees as well as check-in fees and CC purchase fee - that is E35 so far. If anyone has a second bag that will be E20. If any one of those bags is over 15kg there is a E15 per kilo over charge.

And so my advice would be to think carefully about jumping on such a "cheap" flight. Ryanair works great for those with EU passports with no luggage and who pay with Visa Electron - they only have to pay for flight and taxes (and a scratcher if they so chose!)

5. Re: question on plan, kerry airport to dublin airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 09:20