We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info. Please

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Info. Please

Hello everyone! I am excited to say that my friend and I will be travelling to Ireland and Scotland at the end of June. We have no clue what to expect, where to stay, what to do...etc. We are two almost 30 year old females looking to sightsee and make the most of our trip. And also if you could tell us how long to stay in each area....we were thinking 5 days each? I'm going to post this same question on the scotland forum.

Thank you in advance!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info. Please

Lots to do but you need to get a bit more specific - do you want to see towns (Dublin, Galway etc) or the countryside. Are you looking for a few days of culture (Book of Kells, Writers Museaum etc) or do you want to hit the pubs until - or both? Are you renting a car to travel around or do you want to stay in one location in Ireland?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info. Please

well i won't tell you how long to stay in each place because with only 10 days you don't have time to see one country much less two.....maybe rethink your plan and just go to one....you will be sorry to leave either one and five days it just not enough time for either.....

sorry!

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info. Please

Need some details - Where are you flying into/out of? Are you interested in history/culture/landscapes/pubs/music/all of the above? Are you B&B types or do you prefer hotels? Would you be willing to drive (on the left)?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info. Please

I agree that with Oma in that you don't have a hope in seeing much of Ireland.What I would suggest is to base yourself in Dublin for 5 nights. Lots to see in Dublin and it's surrounds.

Here are a few ideas on these posts

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k163840…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k170314…

You can also take a daytrip to see Newgrange in County Meath

http://www.newgrange.com/

and the monastic site of Glendalough in County Wicklow

http://www.glendalough.ie/

You don't have to depend on a car in Dublin as there is good public transport as well as laid on daytrips.

You can catch a bus or the DART to Malahide and see Malahide Castle and have lunch in the pretty village.

malahidecastle.com/malahidecastle/default.asp

http://www.visitmalahide.com/

http://www.powerscourt.ie/gardens/

You could also take a train to the medieval Kilkenny City and possibly stay there 1 night. Beautiful city and well worth visiting. The lovely Kilkenny Castle is near the city centre on the banks of the river Nore.

http://www.kilkennycastle.ie/en/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info. Please

Hello everyone! That you for your replies!! Ok, no we will no be driving that's forsure...will be taking transit. Prefer hotels not bbs but I wouldn't count them out if I had to. I know 5 days is short but that's all we have...unless we take some time off of Scotland. Things like water, green, mountains and stuff like that interest us, not so much musems or history. I've copied and pasted a few things that I took for one link that I liked....Thanks.

Phoenix Park: largest enclosed space in Europe and the lungs of Dublin. Houses the residences of the President of Ireland, the American Ambassador and Dublin Zoo (famous for having bred Clarence, the MGM lion) and Farmleigh House, a stately home once owned by the Guinness Family and now owned by the State. There's also a visitors' centre. No entrance charge, except for the zoo.

- Howth: for a walk in a semi-rural,coastal setting, jump on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) and head to Howth on the north side of the city (journey about 20 mins). Originally a fishing village, it remains a fishing port and also houses a marina. Walk the harbour wall (to follow tradition go out on the top level and back on the bottom level) or hike around Howth Head for stunning views and a feeling that you are in the middle of nowhere. Warm up afterwards with a hot whiskey in any number of nice pubs (music sessions on Sunday mornings in some).

- Newgrange - if you have time and can tear yourself away from Dublin, make a visit to Newgrange a priority. A World Heritage site, Newgrange is Ireland's best known prehistorical monument. A megalithic passage tomb dating from about 3200BC, it predates the pyramids in Egypt by about 500 years. There are also other tombs in the vicinity (Knowth and Dowth) which are also open to visitors at certain times of the year (Newgrange itself is open year round). There's an excellent visitors' centre and cafe, and very knowledgeable and entertaining tour guides. Small entrance fee.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info. Please

Oh and pubs at night FORSURE!! Is it bad that we don't like beer?? LOL I guess we'll have to learn!

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info. Please

For 5 nights in Ireland with Dublin as a base, I would stay there for all 5 nights, with the possible exception of one overnight trip to Kilkenny as suggested above on Day 3 or 4.

Try a Hop-On Hop-Off tour on Day 1 to see what might interest you. There are three public parks that I can recommend - St Stephens Green, Merrion Square, and Iveagh Gardens - all in the city centre and walking distance from each other. The Old Jameson Distillery has a well-run tour.

The site you referenced has good ideas - Howth or Malahide are both on the DART going north, that'll take another day.

On the south side, try Dalkey - it has a great marina and a castle in the town square. Further down the DART towards Shankill, the train hugs the hills and you get a fantastic view of the coast. Go all the way to Bray and hike Bray Head, if you get a warm day with some sun. On the way back to Dublin, stop in Dún Laoghaire for dinner. That's another day.

All the motorcoach day trips are mostly historic in nature, but the Wild Wicklow tour also gives you a good perspective of the countryside. That's 5 days.

Speaking of whiskey, you don't have to drink beer, most pubs that cater to tourists can make a good cocktail and they all have wine of some kind. And there are proper bars as well. Try the Shelborune Hotel bar for an expensive drink with loads of class.

My favorite pubs with traditional (trad) music: O'Donohues on Merrion Row, the Brazen Head

(Lower Bridge St), The Ha'penny Bridge Inn (Wellington Quay). For conversation, try Kehoe's (South Anne's St), Toner's (Baggot St), or The Palace Bar Fleet St). Bruxelles (Harry Street) and Whelan's (Camden St) have live rock music. A good Martini bar is Café En Seine on Dawson Street, where you will also see/hear many nightclubs. Not my cup of tea, but Harcourt Street has a trio of dance places: Copper Face Jacks, Dicey Reillys, and d-two. (www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/index.html)

For inexpensive hotels that have comfy beds and relaxed feel: The Belvedere Hotel and the Camden Court are good choices. I usually book through their own sites or venere.com.

If you are more adventurous and want to see more countryside, there are 1-day train trips (www.irishrail.ie) out of Dublin that'll get you to some fantastic places: (a) The Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, The Burren and Galway Bay (b) The Giants Causeway (c) The Ring of Kerry (d) Cork & Blarney Castle (e) Connemara and Galway Bay (f) The Aran Islands (g)Waterford Crystal & Kilkenny.

Lot's to decide!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info. Please

WOW - thank you soo much! Lots of information, this is great..now I just got to make a plan. Thank you again. My next question was a hotel in a good location...but I noticed you did recommend a couple...will look into those!! :)

9. Re: Info. Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 20:18