We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No. of days to drive around island?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
No. of days to drive around island?

We want to drive around (leisurely) the island (probably not Belfast/north ireland? or should we?), stopping where we feel like it, going for walks, drinking in the local pubs, people watching, etc. Is 7 days going to give us enough time to see alot of the good things?

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No. of days to drive around island?

I am assuming you mean to drive around Ireland,7 days will get you a couple of days in a couple of places,you are not going to see much of Ireland in that time,suggest spend some time with a good guide book(not Rick Steves!) & reading TA forums,it is a popular misconception that you can 'do' Ireland in a few days,there is too much to see,the pace of life is slow & travelling around can be difficult,with your time scale you will have to choose a base or 2 & plan for a further visit!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No. of days to drive around island?

Have a look at www.shannonferries.com The West Coast route map is pretty good.

Mentioned in this post
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No. of days to drive around island?

for seven days in Ireland I would pick one province i.e. connacht, ulster, munster or leinster and just do the province instead of trying to do the whole country

Connacht - the west

ulster - the north

munster - the south west area

leinster - dublin, the east and a bit of midlands.

My choice would be either Connacht (Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon)

or Munster - (Kerry, Cork and Clare, being the most scenic of Munster)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No. of days to drive around island?

I certainly think Waterford and Tipperary should be added to the Munster list! Tipp's not in the Golden Vale for nothing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Vale

No way is 7 days going to allow you to se Ireland at a leisurely pace. 2/3 counties at the most.

I would think it would be close to 3 weeks to see the island at a leisurely pace.

there is no reason why you should not visit the North if you are close by. County Down is very pretty and Derry/Londonderry would be a n interesting city to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No. of days to drive around island?

lvl

just a tip, if you are heading to the North and plan on visiting Derry, please don't tell anyone in the south that you are visiting Londonderry - you could get a mouthful of abuse, especially up in the counties bordering the border.

6. Re: No. of days to drive around island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:17