We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Help

South Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Help

We are planning to see a concert in July (11th and 12th to be specific) at the RDS. So, we have decided to turn this trip into our honeymoon. I was hoping someone could help with some travel advice. I have been reading through many pages on this forum and so much has been helpful. We will be spending a week in Ireland.

We will be flying into Dublin on a Saturday morning. We are planning to spend 3 nights in Dublin. The things that we would also like to see are the Cliffs of Moher and Galway. So, we were planning on spending the next 3 nights in Galway. (after we stop at the Cliffs of Moher) Not sure if we are going to stay specifically in Galway city, but maybe somewhere in the county. Since we are just beginning this process our only definites so far are Dublin and the Cliffs of Moher.

Can someone recommend a good hotel in Dublin that is in the center of the city (but still accessible to get to the RDS)? I was looking for a nice hotel. It is our honeymoon, so I wanted something special, but the Dylan Hotel, Four Seasons, etc. are a little out of my price range. My guess is that my price range is more like a 4 star price range. I've read other posters mention Brooks, Morrison Hotel.

Do you think that going to Dublin and then to Cliffs of Moher and Galway are too much? We will be renting a car and are used to being in the car for long periods of time.

We are flying into Dublin. We were going to do roundtrip, but I was wondering if it's better to fly into Dublin and then out of Shannon?

I am sure that I will have more questions as time goes on. Since it's high season, I am trying to be as organized as possible. We are so excited to be visiting Ireland!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Help

Have a look at the www.herbertparkhotel.ie This hotel is located on the other side of the RDS. The Four Seasons Hotel and Bewleys Hotel are located on the other side.

If heading toward the Cliffs of Moher have a look at the following website. A nice place to spend one night. www.doolin-tourism.com.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Help

3 days in Dublin and 3 in the Galway area sounds fine and is not overdoing it. Driving-wise, distances in Ireland are relatively short e.g. Dublin to Galway is aboout 130 miles - about 3 hours driving.

For your 3 days in Dublin, don't get fixated by picking a hotel near the RDS. The RDS is fairly central (about 2 miles south of the city centre), so any centrally located hotels would be convenient. Check out any hotel in the Dublin 2 and 4 areas - they will generally be in a good, convenient location. However, as it is your honeymoon, you might check out some more romantic locations out of town - you might get a better hotel at a better rate than a city centre hotel.

As a suggestion, how about the Grand Hotel in Malahide. It is a pleasant hotel, on the coast with nice seaside walks but also convenient to the airport and with easy access to the M50 (Dublin's "beltway") which gives access to all routes out of town including the Galway road. It has the added benefit of DART (rail) access to the city and to stations near the RDS. Travel time is about 25 minutes.

Don't bother with a car for your stay in Dublin - public transport, HOHO tours and walking will get you to most places that are worth visiting.

D

PS I saw Mr S in the RDS a few months ago - a great night and hopefully this year will be as good!

South Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Help

Thank you both for your responses! They were helpful. Doolin looks like a nice town - thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately the Herbert Park Hotel is booked on the 11th. We do want to stay in the city center, so I will be checking out hotels in Dublin 2 and 4. We weren't planning on renting a car until we are ready to leave Dublin.

If we stay in Dublin and then head to Galway would it be best to fly into Dublin and then out of Shannon? If we do a round trip in and out of Dublin, maybe it would be better to head to a town that's closer to the Dublin airport on our last night.

Not sure of everything. We are still doing our research - it's definitely been fun! Thanks again for both of your responses.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Help

Check out www.galwaytourist.com

For some more help and info.

Salthill is a great place to visit the beach.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Help

First of all - congratulations :-)!

"If we stay in Dublin and then head to Galway would it be best to fly into Dublin and then out of Shannon? If we do a round trip in and out of Dublin, maybe it would be better to head to a town that's closer to the Dublin airport on our last night."

If you want to first visit Dublin, then travel over to the west coast, then yes, it would be best to depart from Shannon. There's so much to see in cos. Galway and Clare, apart from the Cliffs of Moher and Galway city - you will have a wonderful time:

The Cliffs are located near this large limestone landscape in the north of Clare (allow a full day to explore the Burren and visit the Cliffs):

http://www.burrenbeo.com/

http://www.theburrencentre.ie/

And you have some interesting site further south towards Shannon:

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Attractions/

From Galway you can drive up through Connemara (allow a full day) - fabulous scenery:

http://www.connemara.ie/

http://www.goconnemara.com/

And you could consider visiting one of the Aran Islands, either from Ros A Mhil (Rossaveal) in co. Galway, or Doolin, co. Clare (again, a full day required):

http://www.visitaranislands.com/

You could think about splitting your time on the west coast between Galway and Clare. If your departure from Shannon isn't too early, you should be able to stay in Doolin, which is just over 1hr's drive from the airport. If you have a really early start, you might like to think about staying in Bunratty village, which is just a 10-minute drive from the airport. Bunratty has a good choice of accommodation, hotels, guest houses and b&bs, and some nice restaurants too. Have a look at ferdia's inside pages (lots of info. on co. Clare):

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-inside/ferdia35

Alternatively, if you can only get a return ticket to Dublin, you might like to think about staying in co. Meath for your last night, and visit some of the sites in this area. It's over 3hrs drive from Galway to Newgrange, for example, so you'd have to set out early. Some popular sites: Newgrange (leave plenty of time for Newgrange as July/August are very busy months and entrance is capacity controlled), Hill of Tara, Trim Castle.

Bewleys airport hotel is very convenient, reasonably priced, and has a shuttle service to/from the airport, so you could get rid of your hire car the night before your departure:

http://www.meath.ie/Tourism/

www.heritageireland.ie/en/midlandseastcoast/

bewleyshotels.com/dublin_airport_hotel.asp

:-)

South Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Help

Thank you everyone for your responses! I have a lot of research to do! SarniaGirl - thanks for your response as well. It was very informative.

As I am doing my research, I noticed that the Galway Arts Festival will be going on at the same time as we were planning to be there. I read on other threads that there will be a fee for most of the events that are taking place.

We are looking for a fun time with some great sightseeing and great pubs. It seemed as though Galway fit perfectly. But, if we really don't have a strong interest in paying any extra to see these events, are we foolish to be visiting Galway during this time?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Help

"We are looking for a fun time with some great sightseeing and great pubs. It seemed as though Galway fit perfectly. But, if we really don't have a strong interest in paying any extra to see these events, are we foolish to be visiting Galway during this time?"

Only to the extent that you might find accommodation harder to find and/or more expensive during the festival. But there's plenty to see and do in the area if the festival events don't interest you.

8. Re: Honeymoon Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 23:17