We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magdalene Laundries

Highland, IN
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Magdalene Laundries

We are traveling to Ireland at the end of this month and will spend 2 days in Dublin. We are interested in visiting, or at least seeing, one of the closed (thank God) Magdalene Laundries. Are there any in the area that we could drive by? Of course this will not be the highlight of our visit to Ireland but I have read so much about the laundries I feel I must pay homage to these ladies.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,027 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magdalene Laundries

I believe there is some type of memorial at Glasnevin Cemetery, that may be someplace you could go to pay respects. Locals?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magdalene Laundries

Probably completely off, but is that not the Limerick art college these days?

Have you heard the Joni Mitchell/Chieftains musical collab on this?

Wonderful!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,610 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Magdalene Laundries

These might help you:

http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/photos.htm

bc.edu/bc_org/…Smith_IrishTimes_Apr08.pdf

http://www.netreach.net/~steed/magdalen.html

Such sadness and suffering. May all those who have passed on rest in peace and may there be peace of mind for those who still survive.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magdalene Laundries

I'm pretty sure you can see the former Magdalene laundry in Galway City. If it is the building I am thinking off then it has been renovated in recent years. I have being trying to find an image of it but looks like my google search has proved fruitless :-(

http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/node/2851

…timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article2264740.ece

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magdalene Laundries

there were three magdalene laundries in Galway - the most famous one was up on Foster Street at the top of the town, on the way to College Road. This place has been renovated now, but there is a memorial there for the magdalene victims.

6. Re: Magdalene Laundries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 March 2009, 10:19
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magdalene Laundries

http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/photos.htm

limerickcity.ie/WebApps/…

tethys.croydon.ac.uk/magdalenecircle.nsf

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Magdalene Laundries

Two of the Dublin Magdalene Laundries run by the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity were at High Park in Drumcondra and in Sean McDermott Street in the north inner city. The High Park laundry is now a men's hostel run by the Respond Housing Association and is on Gracepark Road in Drumcondra in the northern suburbs, about 3 miles from Dublin city centre. Gracepark Road runs for a couple of miles and the High Park site is towards the far end of the road on the left hand side if you are driving from the direction of the city. Sean McDermott Street is in the north inner city and is a short walk from O'Connell Street (Dublin's main street). If you walk up O'Connell Street from O'Connell Bridge on the right hand side of the street, turn right after the Gresham Hotel into Cathal Brugha Street which then runs in to Sean McDermott Street. The Sisters of Our Lady of Charity are at No. 63 and the premises currently provides long term accommodation for elderly women who have been in care for many years. The laundry was known in Dubin as the Gloucester Street laundry and was the last Magdalene laundry to close, in 1996.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Magdalene Laundries

Hi, Please don't walk down Sean Mac St looking for this place. It's not somewhere to wander as a tourist. B

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Magdalene Laundries

There is one in Waterford which is fairly accessible since it is part f the local Institute of Technology (WIT), known as College Street campus, or sometimes Good Shepherd. The church and convent buildings are still in use (though not as a church) but the laundry was demolished, apart from the big chimney which was left as a symbol/mark of respect.