We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus tours

windsor ont.
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
bus tours

Cheers,

Planning a first trip to Ireland in June. Need advice about bus tours. Can anyone recommend a great tour company and that has a 7 to 9 day tour thst would explore some major sights? Any halp would be appreciated.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
554 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus tours

Despite their name, much of the Railtours.ie tours are done by bus since Ireland's rail network is quite poor.

This is a six day tour that covers many of the 'main' attractions of the island.

www.railtoursireland.com/tours/dh371110.asp

I have been on a number of railtours and can recommend them. They pack a lot into their days and their hosts are excellent.

You could do the above tour and then spend a couple of days doing the sights in Dublin?

Depending on your age profile there are companies like Paddywagon tours that may be more attractive to you, but I like railtours.

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus tours

CIE tours is another company you can look into. They offer all kinds of different tours with different tour lengths. Just google CIE Tours. They also offer self drive b and b tours

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus tours

We did a day tour from Dublin to Malahide Castle and Howth. Which was an enjoyable trip, when at Malahide Castle we stopped for a bite to eat too.

windsor ont.
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus tours

Thanks for the information. There will be an elderly friend with us on the tour who will not be able to do alot of walking. I will check in to both tour sites. Can you also recommend a great hotel or B@B in a central location if we stay in Dublin for a couple nights extra?

windsor ont.
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bus tours

Hi again,

I just looked up RAILTOURSIRELAND and it looks great! Am I right in reading that there is a host/guide for all the tours and once off the trains buses are used? Also which tour would you recommend...the 4 or 6 day all over?

Again I appreciate any assistance you can give me in planning this trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
554 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus tours

Given that your friend is elderly, I think Railtours is a good idea.

There will be some places where a bit of walking is involved (for instance going down to Carrick-a-rede rope bridge), but there is a coffee shop the people who don't want to do or are not up to doing all the walking can use.

Yes, there is a guide with you all the time and once off the trains buses are used. Sometimes the guide may change as groups occasionally split into different tours but any of the tours we went on were most entertaining. The one drawback is that they usually involve early starts and are quite full days, so you'll be a bit tired after them, but they pack in as much as they can.

As regards which tour...well, if you're only going to be here once and trying to see as much as possible, I'd say the 6 day is good value. Talk to Railtours and see will they let you have a day or maybe two off in the middle. It really makes no odds to them if you do a four day trip and then rejoin them a couple of days later to go on another trip.

It's your holiday - make it suit you. I've always found them a good company to deal with.

As regards the hotel - Wynn's hotel on Abbey Street, just off O'Connell Street is very central and beside a LUAS stop, which would be handy for getting to either of the stations your tours start at. It's a bit olde-worlde which your friend might like. It's also fairly close to the hop-on hop-off buses.

windsor ont.
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bus tours

Thankyou so much for the great tips newgrange. This sounds exactly what we need....so looking forward to visiting your beautiful country.

Kind regards,

Dinomir

8. Re: bus tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 02:18