We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip outside of dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
913 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
day trip outside of dublin

will be in dublin in JULY..would like to get out of dublin for 1 day and expierience some of the country side...but dont want to be on some crowded tourbus...any suggestions for what to do, perhaps a private guide or ideas for where to go....thanks

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Rent a car and head to County Wicklow. It is beautiful with small towns such as Enniskerry, Laragh & Roundwood plus the option to visit Powerscourt Gardens or Glendalough. You could also climb to the top of Great Sugar Loaf Mt in the Wicklow Mts. Nat'l Park.

What guidebook(s) are you using? I like the DK Eyewitness Guides. The small one for Dublin includes a section on "Exploring Beyond Dublin"

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
913 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Rick Steves is from my area so I read his books and watch his videos. Thanks for the input

melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Just letting you know that if you go out of Dublin for the day be wary of certain companies which advertise "small group tours".

I am mentioning this as you say in your post that you don't want to be on some crowded tour bus. These "small group" tours which supposedly go to places the big buses cant may look attractive to you if you dont wish to drive.

One company in particular, Daytours Unplugged has been getting some very negative reviews (mine is one of those) on its practice of deceiving its customers.

Have a read of some reviews on TA - Dublin- Things to do, before you book anything. I wouldn't want you to book something specific and then be disappointed.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Whenever anybody mentions Rick Steves I get nervous but anyway how about going independent & jumping the local train (DART) & heading out to the lovely fishing village of Howth,or Malahide with it's castle or down the coast(great views on the journey) to Bray,all great places for a day out,Howth in particular is one of our favourites on a sunny day,enjoy!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Just get the Dart or a Dublin bus to places like the fishing village of Howth. You can climb the hill behind and get wonderful views of dublin City and beyond.

Malahide and it's pretty castle is also a good daytrip. near Howth is Dollymount Strand with great views of Dublin Port and the splendid St Annes Park is nearby :-)

www.howthismagic.com

www.braytourism.ie

www.malahidecastle.com

www.visitmalahide.com

http://www.dalkeyvillage.com/

www.dun-laoghaire.com

http://www.irish-national-stud.ie/tourism/

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Just to add to what Suzy says,Malahide castle is also set in a beautiful park &,if your interested,there is a model railway exhibition there too,some great places to eat in Howth,Malahide & Bray too.

Cork
Level Contributor
71 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Get on a Bus Eireann bus to Kilkenny if you really want to et out of Dublin for day, head down nice and early and you will be able to see all of this wonderful city very easily in a day.

Kilkenny is very compact and very very nice. I cant say enough good things about it! There are a number of very good attractions and it would be very easy to see all of it in a day.

1. Kilkenny Castle, get yourself on one of the guided tours, this is a wonderful way to spend an hour, its really interesting and very well presented. This is without doubt my favourite thing to do in Kilkenny City, the grounds of the castle are amazing and very very well kept.

2. Rothe House, a refurbished Merchant house with a lovely garden. Very reasonable 5euro entrance fee.

3. The Tower, (not sure of the proper name, but it would be in any guidebook worth its salt.) This can be climbed in the Summer on certain days and the views of the city are gorgeous!

4. The Kilkenny Design centre, across the road from the Castle and very nice and interesting, bit expensive to purchase there but very interesting (and free) to walk around. Good cafe there too.

5. St. Canice's Cathedral and the Black Abbey are also quite interesting to have a look at and the city itself is jut so pleasant to have wander through.

For something to eat, the Marble City Tearooms, so nice and very resonably priced.

You might think you cant do all of this n one day, but believe me you will, Kilkenny is a very small city, only about the size of a town really and I think it would be a great way to get out of Dublin for a day.

Hope this helps!

boston
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip outside of dublin

Check out a company called Extreme Irleand on www.extremeireland.ie

They organise private guided tours from Dublin. One day walking or driving trips. We went rock climbing and also did a cliffs tour with them. Really recommend them and yes, they are small groups! Small buses so no choice! Really knowledgeable guides on both days and a real good laugh

Joe and Zara

9. Re: day trip outside of dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 06:21