We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel picks

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
718 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
hotel picks

Can't decide between the Fitz Williams and the Westin if we have only one night and one afternoon in Dublin. I understand we need to leave 3 hours before our departure time to get to the airport in time for a US flight... or is it suggested that we arrive at the airport 3 hours before the time we are scheduled to depart? If the need is to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight (to the US), would you suggest we not stay in the city centre area of Dublin? I keep posting this question; but can't make up my mind. At one point, I was considering a stay at an airport hotel that last night to avoid having to get to the airport from downtown with a car rental to return the morning of our departure. Someone suggested the Crown Plaza or the Holiday Inn but I really want to stay somewhere a tiny bit more upscale since it is the last night of our holiday and we are staying in great places all along the way...Our flight home is a Sunday morning flight at 10AM so I thought that staying downtown would be less stressful on a Sunday since it isn't a business day. Am I correct about that?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel picks

Marla

You certainly are checking out the options! I have not stayed in either the Fitzwilliam or the Westin, so cannot push one over the other. They are both very central and not far from each other. Maybe it is down to the best deal you can get?

On you going to the airport, you are correct that early Sunday morning in Dublin will be very quiet with little or no traffic, so getting from a city centre hotel to the airport will not be problem in terms of timing (about 30 minutes - it's about 7 or 8 miles). Staying in the centre makes sense.

However, you need to get to the airport by 7.00am at latest to allow for rental car return and the predeparture checks for US flights which includes US Immigration in Dublin before you go.

D.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel picks

I am not sure that there is car parking at the Fitzwilliam or Westin. Check out the Conrad Hotel right on St. Stephens Green.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel picks

thanks for the info

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel picks

We stayed at the Gresham Hotel. Wonderful and about a 10 minute walk on O'Connell Street. Also have a place to park your car. I believe it is 4 star. Very upscale hotel. We got fantastic rates on the web. Stayed two nights and would stay again for sure. Hope this helped.

5. Re: hotel picks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 15:20