We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic week-end in Dublin

Belgium
10 posts
Save Topic
Romantic week-end in Dublin

Hello,

I´ve booked 4 days/3 nights week-end in the second week in june as a surprise for my boyfriend and I.

I would like to get to know Dublin but also I would like to offer him some romantic moments.

Do you have some cozy ideas of what to do in Dublin or surroundings?

1.- Where to stay in not expensive hotel? Satying in Dublin or Malahide? Staying in an affordable Castle?

2.- I have followed the threads about the sighseeing in dublin and sounds interesting. he is an architect and he would appreciate the ancient buildings. Anything else?

3.- Personally I´d go for villages in nature and by the sea. Any romantic place to visit?

4.- I would go for visiting places and places till I get exhausted, I´d go for special or memorable sighseeings.

I hope Dublin/surroundings can offer romantic breaks1

thank you .-)

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

Take a tour to Glendalough and Avoca...I took a train/bus ride on Railtours Ireland...the train started in Dublin, went along the coast to Bray? (?) where we boarded a bus and went to Avoca and the Glendalough. We left Dublin at noon and got back right at 6pm.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

1.- Where to stay in not expensive hotel? Satying in Dublin or Malahide? Staying in an affordable Castle?

- Malahide is nice and the Grand Hotel in Malahide is by the sea, so it might be a good option. Malahide has good links via DART (rail) to the city centre. DART station is about 5-10 mins walk from the hotel.

There is a huge range of hotels in the city centre. The Shelbourne and the Merrion might qualify as romantic - both are very good and centrally located, and though not cheap, you might get a good deal just now. If you want to stay in a castle in Dublin, you might struggle, though Clontarf Castle might qualify. It was a old castle, was converted to a country house in the early 1800s and latterly converted to a hotel. However, as it is in an suburban location, it should not be expensive. It is about 3 miles from the city centre - www.clontarfcastle.ie.

2.- I have followed the threads about the sighseeing in dublin and sounds interesting. he is an architect and he would appreciate the ancient buildings. Anything else?

If he is an architect and interested in older buildings, the finest old buildings in the central Dublin include the following:

Customs House, Custom House Quay (1791)

Four Courts, Inns Quay (1802)

Kings Inns, Henrietta St (1817)

Bank of Ireland (former Parliament), College Green (1729-1804)

St Patricks Cathedral, Patrick St. (13th century, restored 19th century)

Merrion & Fitzwilliam Squares (1750 -1800)

3.- Personally I´d go for villages in nature and by the sea. Any romantic place to visit?

Malahide, as already mentioned is a village, albeit on the northern fringes of Dublin's suburban sprawl.

4.- I would go for visiting places and places till I get exhausted, I´d go for special or memorable sighseeings.

Glendalough has aleady been mentioned as a good day/half-day trip. Also check out Newgrange, an ancient burial site older than the pyramids and about 30 miles north of Dublin - a good day trip. If you want a good walk, take the DART to Howth and walk the cliffs, around the peninsula to Sutton from where you can get catch a DART back to the city centre.

Belgium
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

Many thanks to both for the good ideas, I already have a more concrete idea about this trip.

Juts one more question, is it easy to stay at Malahide and go to Dublin just for the visiting the city?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

As Domhnall has already mentioned, there are regular DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) and suburban trains from Malahide to Dublin city centre.

A return ticket will cost you €4.20 and the journey takes about 20 minutes. The city centre railway stations are Connolly (north city centre), Tara Street and Pearse (both south city centre). The last train from the city centre to Malahide leaves around 11.30pm.

You can also take the No. 42 bus service from Malahide to the city centre but this takes a bit longer. The last bus from the city centre to Malahide also leaves around 11.30pm. The fare is €2.20 one way.

www.dublinbus.ie

www.irishrail.ie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
235 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

Another idea...

Stay in Killiney Castle Hotel. Its beside Killiney Hill and close to Killiney beach. Nearest village is Dalkey which has good restaurants. Bono and Van Morrison live nearby.

Also near the Dart to the city. You can get to Glendalouch quite easily.

Bus from airport to Dalkey is the Patton Flyer which is quick and reasonable.

Saying that, if you got the Merrion Hotel at a good rate, I would go there ahead of anywhere in Dublin (brought my wife there for our first wedding anniversary, and we live in Dublin city!)

Belgium
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

thank you very much for the options, although I don't think The Grand Hotel would be suitable for my budget, is there any other average accommodation at Malahide?

Not a B&B and nor a deluxe Hotel? ... Some recommendation in between?

Thank you again,!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

In Malahide itself, the choice pretty much the Grand Hotel or B&Bs. You could try the Island View Hotel, which is a small hotel on the Coast Road.

http://www.islandviewhotel.ie/

A little further down the Coast Road in Portmarnock there's the Portmarnock Hotel. The beach at Portmarnock is really beautiful, with views across to Howth Head, and the hotel is virtually on the beach.

http://www.portmarnock.com/

The White Sands Hotel is also on the Coast Road at Portmarnock.

http://www.whitesandshotel.ie/

Dublin Bus No.102 from Dublin Airport passes through Malahide and past these hotels. You can also catch the No.42 bus for the short journey from Malahide to Portmarnock, although it's also a very pleasant walk of about 20 mins along the coastal path.

www.dublinbus.ie

You can take the No.42 all the way to Dublin city centre or get off at the Malahide DART station to continue your journey (quicker).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

Hi - great idea for a romantic weekend. For drinks try the wine bar in the basement of Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street or the Cellar Bar beneath the Merrion Hotel - lots of nooks and crannies suitable for two....

In the city there are a number of small parks that are great for romantic moments - the rose garden in the Iveagh Gardens - this small park is hidden away between Harcourt Street (entrance on Clonmel Street to the park) and Easlsfort Terrace. There is a large waterfall (artificial but really very nice)and the rose garden is fabulous in bloom - should be about this time of year.

Walks along the banks of the Grand Canal can be lovely - lots of benchs to stop at. (there can be some litter around but keep walking until you find a nicer part).

For architecture - see the Customs House and Trinity College - take in the Book of Kells and the beautiful Long Room in the library (not to be missed).

There are lots of wonderful small cafes that make for cosy stops around town. For a romantic dinner try Peploe's on St Stephen's Green (expensive but very good).

I wouldn't stay in Killiney Castle - if you're looking for a "real" castle this is not it. But the area around there is lovely. Take the DART out to Dalkey and walk from Dalkey village up Killiney Hill to the Obelisk and viewpoint that looks out over Killiney Beach, Killiney Bay and south to the Wicklow Mountains - its really stunning and there are a couple of strategically placed benches from which to take in the view. Also if take the path parallel to the sea there are lots of points at which you can leave the path and find a small patch to sit just on a rock, among the scrub grass and furze to look out over the bay. Bring a rug or even a sweatshirt to sit on....Lovely place to sit and read a book for a while. Dalkey village is a nice, heritage site - lots of coffee shops and small stores, and a couple of galleries to potter around. The lunches in Finnegan's pub are great and will fill you up for the day!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

For architecture you could also visit the Reading Room in the National Library, Kildare St, a place used by many great Irish authors in their day.

For a romantic place, you could consider Powerscourt House and Gardens - a former stately home with restaurant, shops and gardens with mature trees, waterfalls etc. Located in the Wicklow mountains, walking distance from pretty Enniskerry village, reachable by bus 44 from the city centre, about a 1hr journey. Nearby Powerscourt waterfall is also worth a visit but you need a car to get there, I think.

Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic week-end in Dublin

Hi,

Clontarf is also a good place to stay that is by the sea. There are a number of B&Bs on the coast road and it is very easy to get to the city centre by bus (the no. 130 bus which takes approx. 15mins to city centre and costs €1.80). A taxi costs about €14.

There is a wildlife reserve on the beach in Clontarf and a large park.

For a romantic meal I would suggest The Pearl Brasserie on Merrion Square-it's a bit pricey but memorable. Ask for a table in one of the little caverns.

Enjoy your stay.