We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health insurance from UK

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
145 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Health insurance from UK

we are going to Dublin for a few days, will we need to get travel insurance to cover health costs or will we be covered by E111 for everything. Travelling from UK.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Health insurance from UK

AS well as the general E111 cover throughout the EU, Ireland has an additional reciprocal emergency health care arrangement with the UK. So UK nationals visiting Ireland are entitled to free emergency health services. You don't even need your E111 to access it, all you will need is proof of your UK residence. But keep in mind that while you can access emergency health care here, neither your UK residence nor your E111 will cover you for any additional costs should you be unlucky enough to have an accident or fall ill (e.g. costs such as additional accommodation, repatriation, altered travel bookings, etc). To cover these and other eventualities, travel insurance is recommended.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health insurance from UK

Hi, E111 has now been replaced by EHIC cards. If you are a UK citizen you get free medical treatment here as a public patient, and emergency medication/dental/GP visit. See www.ehic.ie Hope this helps B

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,145 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health insurance from UK

If you are doing more than one trip abroad this year, a multiple trip policy can work out well.

The AA do such policies.

A few years ago, my Mum was unlucky enough to fall and break her wrist while in France. While her E111 or equivalent covered a lot of the expenditure, there were other costs not covered, and her health insurer covered these.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health insurance from UK

Thanks for all your replies. I agree with all your advice but since my last policy ran out I am in the process of being diagnosed with a possible serious illness. So wanted to check out all possiblities as it's going to cost me a arm and leg to get cover, will probably just keep my fingers cross.

5. Re: Health insurance from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 05:37