We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'Callaghan Hotels

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
O'Callaghan Hotels

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife are traveling to Dublin in September for 5 days. I am looking at O'Callaghan hotels for my trip. I would appreciate if one of the Dublin experts or someone who has stayed in these hotels can share his/her experience. As there are four different O'Callaghan hotels, which is the best out of all four? I am leaning towards Stephen's Green but would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

There are 4 O'Callaghan hotels in central Dublin - 3 are side by side just off Merrion Square (Davenport, Alexander and Mont Clare) with Stephen's Green under a mile away but still quite central. I have not stayed in any of the hotels but have used the faciliates in both the Alexander and Davenport which were good. The hotels are generally relatively newly built, though the Mont Clare includes a part conversion of some older buildings. Standards wise, I think that the hotels are generally similar.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

The Stephen's Green hotel is a new build which tends to attract business clientele and can feel a little sterile.

The Alexander is also a new build but blends well into the much older street around it.

The Mont Clare is an old, traditional hotel which is a Dublin landmark. It's a bit more cosy than the others, but can sometimes feel a little cramped in the public areas.

The Davenport is housed in a remodelled 19th century Plymouth Brethern gospel house - the facade remains and is impressive.

All are in good locations, but the Merrion Square area is slightly closer to a lot of the major sights and attractions. My personal choice would be the Davenport or the Alexander.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

Thanks topl and Domnhall. We would like to be in a central area, close to the city center as this is our first visit to Dublin. Are there any other hotels in the same area and price range which you would recommend over O'Callaghan hotels? Also, is end of September a busy time in Dublin? I am hoping I will find some good deals on hotels.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

Hi,

I stayed in Alexander and I think you couldn't go wrong with staying here. Good value, central location. I also love Trinity Capital, my favourite in fact, but can be a little noisy if your room is to the front. But for value, location and comfort you cant beat it. Hope this helps. B

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

Hi! I've lived in Dublin for seven years, and I've seen a lot of hotel rooms when people have visited me.

The O'Callaghan hotels are quite reasonable. The room I saw in the Davenport was a bit shabby, but the hotel lobby was more classic-looking than the Alexander's lobby. The room I saw in the Alexander was much more modern looking (like its lobby). The Stephen's Green one, too, is a bit more modern than the Davenport.

You might take a look at the Capital hotels. The Stephen's Green one is traditional-looking, reasonably priced and has a smaller boutique feel to it. The Trinity Capital has a bit less going on around it, though it's very near to Temple Bar, Trinity, etc., but its decor is trendy and the rooms are nice and modern.

Jury's hotels are often cheap, and would be a bit like Holiday Inns, but they are not as central.

In terms of a nice hotel for a good price, my dad had very good luck with The Morrison. It's quite expensive on busy weekends but you may have luck booking so far in advance. And you may get a deal on the weekends, since you have five nights.

Dublin is an immensely manageable city. It's compact, and the usual sights are mainly within walking distance. Map the hotels you're interested in and look for the west side of Trinity College (Dame St., Grafton St., etc.) as a point of reference: it's about as central as you get for shopping, cultural outings, and the like. Stephen's Green might be a better bet than Merrion Sq.

Since you have a wife (maybe this is a bit of a leap) try to stay away from hotels in Temple Bar. It's noisy and expensive, and everyone around you is out to party. It gets messy on weekends. You two might be out to party as well, but if you decide you want to do so in Temple Bar, it's a 5-10min walk from Stephen's Green anyway.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any more questions. I'm happy to help!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

Dublin is a city of over a million people so it's always pretty busy. It attracts visitors all year round but the peak months for tourism tend to be March (around St. Patrick's Day), June, July and August.

I think the O'Callaghan hotels are a good choice. But if you want to check out some more options, these are hotels of a similar standard in very good central locations:

- The Grafton Capital, Lower Stephen Street

- The Mercer Hotel, Mercer Street

- Buswell's, Molesworth Street

- Brooks Hotel, Drury Street.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

Thanks everyone. You are right jonnny7, I would like to stay away from Temple bar areas.

8. Re: O'Callaghan Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 07:33