We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
521 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

If I rent a car and stay in Dublin, do most lodging options offer parking? Or, if not, are there pay lots available? Or, is it just a bother to have a car in Dublin? Also, I am wondering how long the drive is from Dublin to Shannon. Is it an easy one? And, is it worth the trip to do some hiking outside of Shannon? Thanks for any information.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

No need to rent a car in Dublin parking is a premium & transport is good. If you want to Hike then its an hours drive from the Burren(Clare) to Shannon and 2hrs from the Conamara (Galway) or Killarney National park (Kerry)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

There's a nice hike from Shannon town along the estuary, into Bunratty, up the Hill road and back into Shannon - nice views of Cratloe and Shannon's estuary as a bonus.

There are other hikes in the area:

This one is a couple of miles away:

shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/…en.html

And within an hour you have:

There is a nice little trail on Inis Oirr if you want to take the short ferry ride from Doolin.

www.inisoirr-island.com/walkingtrail.html

For distances when driving - and the drive to Shannon is easy and uneventful.

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes

Yes, a car in Dublin would be a liability.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
521 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

Thank you tony2phones and ferdia. I figured that it would not be good to have a car in Dublin. Thanks so much for the info on hiking trails and the links. I love to combine city with nature vacations.

As I firm up my plans, I may post again to get more specifics about some of the hikes mentioned. Again, thank you!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

No problem at at all toelle - use my profile for all information on the area if you like.

5. Re: parking in Dublin and driving to Shannon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 06:17