We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

For any visitors who want to see a slice of local Dublin food. A taste of Dublin is here again in the Ivy Gardens from 11-14th of June.

This is a festival of food, where you pay an entrace fee, and then buy tokens to sample the best of Dublin dining. A word to the wise, it ends up not being cheap. Most portions are slightly less than starter size, and range in price between 3-5 euro. You can spend as much or as little as you like after the entrance fee, but I warn you... They are the facts. But, the atmosphere is such that you end up spending, and spending.

What goes beyond facts is that it is one of my favourite Dublin events over the last four years. What you will get for your money is a very relaxed summer vibe, if we can get the sunshine back. Though we haven't been rained out yet. For visitors who have any aspirations toward foodiness, you will get to sample a little from every Dublin restaurant of note, in historic Dublin Gardens with a great ambiance. There is also a great wine tent, which you can buy tasting vouchers for.

I cannot recommend this enough for anyone who likes meandering around, eating, embibing and soaking up the atmosphere.

Unfortunately I cannot make this years one. I will be in San Francisco. For visitors who like food & wine in their own country, I encourage you to go.

What you will find is modern Dublin. Not traditional Irish music, not tourists. But Dublin people in their own habitat, enjoying the best of what our City has to offer in Food/Drink and hopefully weather terms.

I hope someone will post a review. Tapl, I'm looking at you..

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

People I know go every year but I always seem to be out of town when it's on. I'm hoping to get there but we will have visitors all weekend and I think they seem to have their plans all mapped out. I'll see if I can twist their arms, or else I may be tempted to abandon them!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

A word to the wise - be sure to take a strong bag with you to hold all the bits you buy/receive. Thanks to Pat Kenny and the Late Late Show I have tickets for next weekend. He also gave me tickets for the Bloom Festival last week ;-) hence my advice for the strong bag. Was laden down with purchases of not only plants but foodstuffs from the wonderful Artisan Food Market.

Would prefer to visit on Saturday (best lineup of chefs imho in the demonstration arena) - but can't forfeit my Take That tickets for grub! Looks like the prices have increased this year Dublinmix - from the website - the menu prices are in the range €5 - €8. The cumin spiced connemara lamb burger is currently number 1 on my list followed by Irish Coffee icecream cone with chocolate sauce and whiskey caramel...

www.tastefestivals.ie/index.php…

Intend to visit on Sunday (weather dependant) so in the event of TAPL not visiting I will be happy to post my thoughts. Mind you - would forfeit my Take That tickets to be in San Fran (hope to visit later in the year). Will be watching out for your trip report when you return Dublinmix. Enjoy!

Sligo
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

Hi,

Was wondering do you know how much the entrance fee for Taste of dublin is??

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

Bump...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

All the info. is here

http://www.tastefestivals.ie/

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

Well I went.

Firstly I love my grub and am quite happy eating anything from greasy spoon establishments to the Upper Fine dining establishments as long as the food is good and fresh. I was soo looking forward to the Taste of Dublin.

To start off with - I didn't need my 'strong bag'. Nothing much to purchase. I was expecting an Artisan Food Market within the confines of the festival (like at the Bloom festival) and had an order from Hubbie for certain cheeses/breads/ chutneys etc to take home. So much so, he forfeited lunch yesterday so that he could feast on what I would take home. He had to make do with a pizza from our local pizzeria.

I would have been absolutely DISGUSTED if I had have paid the €28.50 admission charge - basically a toll on entry to spend more money. Any samples had to be purchased - ranging in price from €5 to €8 in florin currency you had to buy on entry. No cash exchanged hands. I had my connemara lamb burger and ice-cream cone. Both delicious and probably one of the better value for money options.

There were no shortage of bodies around (it was packed). The celtic tiger had come out of hiding for the day - people quaffing bottles of champagne all around the place. Very superficial and some of them not even holding their glasses properly...!!

Highlight for me was watching the Clodagh McKenna's demonstration. What a natural sweetheart and such a good chef to boot. Watch out for her new series starting soon on RTE. All on seafood. Bought her book she was so impressive. Will have to go fishing to catch the freshest fish to do her recipes justice. Second highlight was tasting the Bulmers Pear Cider (and a free tasting too!). Roll on the next barbecue at chez moi. Know what I will be drinking!

All in all a disappointment and I stayed less than half of the allocated 12noon to 4.00pm session we were assigned to.

With the excellent value around with the 'upper' echelon establishments at the moment, people who enjoy good food would have been better off to have lunch in a chosen restaurant and wouldn't have spent as much as I'm sure a lot of them did over the weekend tasting morsels of food which wouldn't fill a hole in a large tooth cavity!!

Overall a disappointment and it won't be on my itinerary for next year.

Only positive was that I visited the Iveagh Gardens (had never been before). What an oasis in the heart of the city. On my list to return again. Have already booked my flights for the Good Food Show in Birmingham in November and hoping it will be a better class of event than Taste of Dublin was

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

Excellent post LittlePumpkin.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

So now I have another thing to test on my trip to

Ireland in September: Bulmers Pear Cider. Thanks.

Frank

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

Roughly 29 euros seems awfully high, what with all the add-on costs for the food, etc. Seems like

people have talked about special prices at some of the better restaurants where that amount would buy you a great 3 course meal.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taste of Dublin 11-14th June

You're right Frank and the sentiments in my post. Great value ('specially for lunchtimes).

A tip regarding the Pear Bulmers. Be sure that it is COLD - preferably in a large glass with ice. Can imagine it would be a refreshing drink especially if you can find a nice beer garden on your travels and you bring some sunshine over to us. Will be dying to hear what you think of it (and I am sooo looking forward to your trip report!)