We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Temple Bar safe at night?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Is Temple Bar safe at night?

We are going to be staying in the Temple Bar area over New Year's with our 3 children and two of their friends between 17-22 years old. My problem is that we want to give them freedom but we have read in some travel books that Dublin can have some trouble late at night. How safe is it? What are some inexpensive places to eat (there will be 7 of us $$$ Ouch!) What sightseeing things will be open? Thanks, much!

(I asked this question in another thread, but received no response. Sorry for the repeat.)

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Temple Bar safe at night?

I would say that on a whole Temple Bar is safe at night, however as with an city common sense is required to look after oneself and be careful. There is a Garda(Police) presence in the area at night as there are many bars and nightclubs in the area. There are better places to go than Temple Bar for drinks etc, it attracts a lot of visitors and not so many locals!

It might be better to try get accomodation in a quieter location if you have concerns about noise etc. If you are staying at the Christchurch end you are unlikely to have problems with noise. Where are you staying and its easier to tell how close to the thick of things you will be??

Jurys Christchurch might be a good closeby alternative.

The thing is that over the holiday period and at New Years much more people tend to go out, and drink more as the festivities are in full swing. This gives potential for trouble to arise. I dont mean it will happen, just that it could happen.

I am a 22 year old myself and regularly go out to the pubs and clubs in Dublin. I always feel safe and know that if I keep myself to myself nothing will happen to me. The main streets in the city centre are well lit and will be full of people so I would not worry.

As regards food I'm not sure on this. I would recommend carvarys in the middle of the day. This is where pubs/hotels serve not from a menu but basically they have the food all there and you tell them what you want. You get large helpings and I find it good value. 10-12euro for a big dinner is what you would pay. Try O'Neills on Suffolk Street just across the street from the main tourist office(the old converted church). There is a lot of pubs that have good pub grub thats not expensive. Try the Gin Palace on Middle Abbey street. Mona Lisa is a restaurant near Trinity College that has very nice food and reasonable prices. There are also loads of restaurants in Temple Bar, not sure on prices though.

As regards the tourist things, I'm not sure what'll be open and what wont. Take the hop on hop off tour bus anyway, it's quite good. 24hour pass is 12euro. The city will probably be very busy with the sales after christmas is another thing I will say to you

west of Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Temple Bar safe at night?

Well you are going to an expensive and trendy place which

Temple Bar is. The kids will love it, but like any city anywhere

it is best to be cautious. Seventeen year olds will not be served

alcoholic drinks and over that, might have to produce

evidence of age. I know where I live here west Ireland they

are very strict. Because it is New Year there will be a lot of

celebrations and a lot of drink consumed, that is the reality of

life and Dublin is no different. This is what causes the problems.

So go with this in mind when the kids are off out by

themselves. But go and enjoy yourselves just as you would

anywhere else by being careful. Inexpensive food. McDonalds,

Burger King, the usual places. Sightseeing places, some will be

closed over the holiday period, ask at your Hotel. Good Luck.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Temple Bar safe at night?

I think the safety issue has been adressed by the previous two posters. In relation to the food issue, I think we can do a little better than mc donalds and burger king!!

You can eat well for reasonable prices in Dublin if you know where to look. For excellent Pizza, pasta and salads try Cafe Bar Deli on Georges St. or Grafton St. ( www.cafebardeli.ie). For great Japanese food check out Yamamori, also on Georges St.

Gruel Cafe on Dame street serves some top quality cooking very cheaply in a " no frills" setting. For excellent vegetarian food for around €6 each, try Govindas on Aungier Street.

My tip about Temple Bar is to spend time exploring the area during the day as there are some great shops, cafes and restaurants etc. at night it can get a bit rowdy as it has lots of late night bars and clubs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Temple Bar safe at night?

Thank you for your responses! We know that it might be noisy where we are staying, but we're O.K. with that because we'd like to be close enough for our kids to walk. I guess noise is the price we'll pay! (Ask me if I still feel this way in January after 3 nights of no sleep in Dublin!!) Thanks for the info on the drinking age. Since it's 21 here, our 20 year old will be happy to hear that. Thanks again.

P.S. Where do the locals go, since you mentioned that there are better places than Temple Bar?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Temple Bar safe at night?

Lots of locals frequent Temple Bar but so do lots of tourists!

The area around St.Stephens Green, Grafton St, Georges St and Dawson St. is popular with locals. It's about a square mile and has several streets with great bars, cafes, restaurants and shops.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Temple Bar safe at night?

Hi

There is no shortage of bars in the city centre in Temple Bar and beyond.

Good bars that are frequented by locals outside of Temple Bar but within easy walking distance include:

For the younger crowd:

The Market Bar - off George's Street Market

Cocoon, off Duke Street

Ba Mizu, in bottom of Powerscourt Townhouse Centre

Cafe en Seine, Dawson Street

Traditional Bars (most will have a really wide age range of customers so maybe some places you could all go together):

Neary's, Chatham St

Kehoe's, South Anne Street

Davy Byrne's, Duke Street

McDaid's, Harry Street

(all within a couple of minutes of each other)

The Long Hall, George's Street

Doheny and Nesbitts, Baggot Street

Toner's, Baggot Street

For reasonable food try:

Milano - mostly pizzas - Dawson Street

Steps of Rome, Chatham Street (very reasonable and very tasty pizza and pasta - in tiny busy cafe)

Gotham Cafe, South Anne Street