We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Dublin

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Dublin

I have just one full day and night in Dublin on a Sunday in late July. I would love some suggestions for an itinerary. I would like to work in a very good dinner and some traditional music if possible.Thank you.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Dublin

You don't say what your interests are and Sunday makes things a little trickier as many museums, galleries and other popular sights don't open until later and a few will be closed. But my own ideal 'one full day and night' trip to Dublin would look something like this:

- start the day with a quick tour of the city on the Dublin City HoHo Bus (23 stops, get on and off as much as like, first tour starts 9.30am, tickets are cheaper if booked online)

- take a tour and visit the museum at Kilmainham Gaol

- stroll around the grounds of Trinity College and visit the Book of Kells and the Long Room

- if the weather is nice, buy a picnic lunch in one of the many cafes around Grafton Street/St. Stephen's Green and head to St. Stephen's Green to eat it; if the weather's not good enough for al fresco dining, then head to the cafe at the Kilkenny Shop in nearby Nassau St. Lovely, fresh local foods and time to look around the beautiful pottery, glass, textiles and other crafts in the store afterwards.

- after 2pm, pop in to the National Museum of Ireland in Kildare Street (close to Stephen's Green and the Kilkenny Shop) to see their beautiful collection of ancient Irish gold (free)

- visit the Chester Beatty Library, an outstanding museum and one of the best in Europe with an amazing collection of Western, Asian and Islamic artworks and illuminated manuscripts (free).

- reward all your sightseeing efforts with a nice, relaxing drink at one (or more!) of Dublin's lovely old pubs. These are among my favourites and are all in and around the compact city centre:

- The Stag's Head, Dame Court

- O'Neill's, Suffolk Street

- Mulligans, Poolbeg Street,

- The Palace Bar, Fleet Street

- Davy Byrne's, Duke Street

- Neary's, Chatham Street

- Sheehan's, Chatham Street

- Kehoe's, South Anne Street

- The Long Hall, Sth Great George's Street

- Grogan's (The Castle Lounge), Sth William Street

- The International, Wicklow Street

- head for a pe-prandial drink at The Church, Mary Street, a very well executed conversion of the former 18th century St. Mary's Church of Ireland church - it has many associations with historical figures including Arthur Guinness (married there), Sean O'Casey (baptized there) and John Wesley (preached there).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Dublin

My post escaped before I'd finished!

before heading for dinner at the nearby Winding Stair, probably my favourite Dublin restaurant and very popular with visitors to the Dublin Forum. They serve large plates of excellent modern Irish cuisine using only the very best of local ingredients, washed down with an impressive wine list. Great service, friendly staff and a nice location overlooking the Ha'Penny Bridge (ask for a window seat). Book ahead as it's very popular.

Then round off your evening with a free non-touristy traditional music session in The Palace Bar - Fleet Street, The Cobblestone - Smithfield or Hughes Bar, Chancery Street. All are within a short walk of The Winding Stair and sessions usually start sometime after 9pm.

Enjoy Dublin!

Level Contributor
39 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Dublin

Hi Jeem,

On the trad music side, I can rec The Brazen Head on Sunday afternoons 2-5pm. I am part of the group 'Rafferty' who play there. Its Irelands oldest pub and steeped in history. They serve very good bar food and also have a full restaurant upstairs. But dont just take my word for it. Check out their website at www.brazenhead.com

Hope this helps.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Dublin

Thanks to all of you. I will certainly do my best to catch you at the Brazen Head, Balladman.This is a big help.

5. Re: One Day in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 06:18