We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

Perth
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

My husband, our 15 year old son and I are visiting Dublin for a couple days next week and I see the forecast is for rain. What are the best ideas for spending our two days if it is raining. We plan to visit the Guiness Factory, but what else? Should we catch buses to see the city and surrounds if we cannot walk it? I look forward to your advice. thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

Rain is always likely in Ireland, although the weather in Dublin has been very pleasant over the past while. And when it does rain, it's more likely to be scattered showers or light rain than torrential downpours. Weather is very changeable here, often in the course of one day. Locals tend to just get on with it when it's raining, sometimes with a umbrella to hand, unless it's particularly heavy and relentless.

The city is pretty compact and a lot of the sights are within an easy walk of each other. If you do want a bus option between popular attractions, then it has to be the HoHo. Regular bus routes in Dublin tend to radiate from the city centre rather than cross it making bus travel from one attraction to another complicated and timeconsuming - it's usually much quicker/easier to walk.

http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/cityTour.aspx

The LUAS (tram) Red Line is also useful for getting from the north city centre to locations such as Smithfield (Jameson's), Collins' Barracks, the Guinness Storehouse and Kilmainham Gaol, although for the last two you will have to walk 5-10 minutes' after getting off the LUAS.

Things to see indoors include:

- The Books of Kells and Long Room, Trinity College

- Kilmainham Gaol (part of the the tour is outside)

- The National Museum of Ireland at Kildare Street and Collins Barracks

- The National Gallery of Ireland

- Hugh Lane Gallery of Modern Art

- Royal Hospital Kilmainham/Irish Museum of Modern Art

- General Post Office

- Chester Beatty Library

- Dublin Castle (State Apartments)

- Guinness Storehouse

- Old Jameson Distillery

- St. Patrick's Cathedral

- Christchurch Cathedral

- Waterways Visitors' Centre

- Writers' Museum

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

Tapl, of course, gave fantastic advice. My piece of advice is to not let the rain bother you- get out and walk the wonderful city of Dublin! Hubby and I did that in March 06 and loved it. I think we saw most types of weather during that trip that you can see in Ireland!

Make sure you pack a water proof jacket with hood for everyone and get out and walk! Enjoy your trip!

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

It is 100-plus in Dallas, and there is no other place I would rather be now than in Dublin enjoying RAIN! Don't let rain stop you from doing anything...it rained just about every day I was over t here last fall...just take an umbrella, put on a rain coat and get out and enjoy the city!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

Take the tour of the jail, I think your son would love it.

I agree don't let the rain stop you. It rained one day when we were there but if you are prepared with hoods ( it got windy at times and a hood is better than managing an umbrella) and umbrellas you can enjoy it. Consider a tour since you are in and out of the bus so you don't have to be in the rain all the time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

If you take a look around you in Dublin when it's raining during the summer months, you'll find that locals are either using umbrelllas or nothing..... I rarely see locals with hats or hoods.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

There is a 17 screen cinema (Cineworld) on Parnell Street (at the top of O'Connell Street). Showing all the latest movies including Transformers. Then there are 2 shopping malls (ILAC centre, and Jervis Centre) within a few streets (so if its still raining just dash accross to them).

By the way - the forecast is not too bad : This from rte.ie weather..... Tomorrow

Many areas will be dry tomorrow with spells of hazy sunshine, but a few scattered showers may develop. Another warm day with temperatures reaching 18 to 23 degrees.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

Malahide Castle

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

I highly recommend Kilmainham Gaol - really excellent tours.

And the Kingship and Sacrifice Exhibition in the National Museum on Kildare Street. FREE entrance (Closed Mondays I think). This exhibit is of mummified human remains - known as 'bog bodies' found in Ireland and what is known or theorised about their background and significance, - giving a great insight into early human societies in Ireland.

Also, remember that though it rains often it often doesn't rain for long!

A

9. Re: What to do in Dublin when it is raining?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:18