We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money do I need per day?

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Topic
How much money do I need per day?

We will be 8 days in Ireland (mainly in the West). We will mostly be eating in pubs (or where the locals

eat). Will be staying in B&Bs (with the price around

100 euros per night). Also we will be drinking a

lot of beer and driving a fair amount. I have no

idea how much to budget. We will be using a Bank

America debit card. How much would you budget in euros per day for the above? This is outside the price of the rental car. So it is only petrol. Probably will be hitting the ATM about every 3rd or 4th day. Thank in advance. Frank

Saint George, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money do I need per day?

"Also we will be drinking a

lot of beer and driving a fair amount" ...just don't do it at the same time or you'll need to budget a bit more for your Garda expense.

My recommendation, don't budget on a trip to Ireland.

Average (good) meal is approx €15.00

Pint of Guinness is approx. €5.00

Petrol is approx. €1.20 per liter.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money do I need per day?

Allow yourself EURO 200 per day and you'll be fine ..

...you don't have to spend it all !!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money do I need per day?

Ah, come on Frank, how long is a piece of string?

Apart from a couple of obvious remarks about the locals eating at home, and hoping th beer drinking and driving are not going to happen simultaneously...(remember you can still be over the alcohol level the next morning)

Lets give it a go.

Petrol, say €20 per day

Pub meal, around €15 each

Take away sandwich and drink €6 each

Coffees or whatever €10

Admission to places - free to €15 each

Beer - depends on what you mean by 'a lot' €20 - €30 each

Random stuff - parking, er - whatever - say €10

I make it around €125 for two. I have no idea whether my notions would fit your ideas, but thats a rough guess.

Saint George, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money do I need per day?

Oh my, don't forget to include the cost of buy a CD of the Best of Daniel O'Donnell for your drives... cost you about €1 at a market.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money do I need per day?

Thanks to everyone for your advice. After reading

them all, I have decided to turn to a live of crime

to pay for my trip to Ireland. I am hitting the local bank in Libby, MT on Monday. Wish me luck.

Frank

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money do I need per day?

With the mists of Connemara all around and Wee Daniel on the CD player, you will either be in heaven, or wish you were.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money do I need per day?

Frank

With all the preparations you have made for your trip - don't cut yourself short. Assuming your B&B's need to be factored into your budget - I'd say €200 per day minimum. No point in finding yourself in a situation where the craic is good, the beers are flowing and having to up and leave because you have reached your budget ;-)

Full breakfasts are the way to go - followed by a light snack during the course of the day - with 'earlybird' evening meal.

Have a contingency fund - for those little extra or for times when you don't want to leave a particular pub. Be sure though on those occasions you have a designated driver for the following day who doesn't consume as much alcohol. Everyone I know has a zero tolerance for drinking-drivers - and rightly so.

When we are away - if we have a 'blow-out' one of the days - we usually cut back a little the following day - however unless hubbie keeps a tight rein I always blow the budget anyway.

Isn't it time now that you shared your tentative itinerary with us? No doubt we will all be happy to share any bargain deals with you - and assuming you are following TAPL's excellent thread on good value deals.

Don't worry about Daniel O'Donnell - stick with your Wolfe Tones and you'll be grand.

Daniel + Drink + Driving = DANGEROUS ;-)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money do I need per day?

as a couple, we budget E100 per day, but this does not include accommodation or flights or car hire which is all paid in advance .

this is just for eating/drinking out each evening, petrol, provisions for self catering for the other meals and all the other oddments,

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money do I need per day?

I have used www.supervalugetawaybreaks.com lots of times and enjoyed 3 nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal for €198 for two people for the lot and in very good hotels (midweek).

I know that you have to collect supermarket stamps to avail of this offer. I can be bribed here!

I know that MontanaFrank has a neck like a jockeys ...., so if I were him I might phone the hotels and ask them would they match the Super Valu breaks offer without the stamps. You never know!

It's an incredible offer and you can review the hotels on Tripadvisor before going.

Also have a look at www.pumps.ie where you can plan your petrol top ups when travelling.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money do I need per day?

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm sure others have benefited from it. I will post itinerary next week. What I find my self doing now, is planning my

next trip to Ireland before I am finished with this one. Hindsight is wonderful. Definitely will schedule more time in Dublin. And also will plan to spend 2 weeks in Ireland. This is my last trip when I schedule multiple countries on my European trip. I definitely want to go to western part again. Also I have never been to Cork. Thanks again. Frank