We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Hi, I'm doing a course in the IPA and am heading up at the weekend from Sligo. Familiar with Dublin City but not out as far as that. Coming into Connolly Station on the train, what would be the easiest way to get out there on a Saturday afternoon? Also can anyone recommend somewhere close by and not too expensive to stay? I'll be heading up for a few weekends within the next few months. Thanks!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Bewleys in Ballsbridge....Take the Dart out to Sandymount Station & the hotel is a 5 minute walk !

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Now I have an absolutely terrible sense of direction... is there any possible way I could get lost lol?? I really haven't a clue where I'm going. I looked on a map and there's a station close to the IPA, I think it's the actual Lansdowne Road station, do trains not go to it regularly??

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Lansdowne Station is the next stop after Sandymount & there is not much distance between them.Sandymount is just that bit nearer for Bewleys !

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Take the DART from Connolly to Landsdowne Road and the IPA is on Landsdowne Road, close to the station. Trains are regular. You'll find timetables on the Irish Rail site

www.irishrail.ie

The closest hostels are the Landsdowne and the D4 hotels, just a few minutes' walk away.

http://www.d4hotels.ie/

http://www.lansdownehotel.ie/

Bewley's has also been mentioned, and it's about 15-20 minutes' walk from the IPA (and a short walk from Sandymount DART station). The Mespil Hotel on the canal often has very good deals and is about 15 minutes' walk from the IPA.

http://www.mespilhotel.com/

There's also quite a few B&Bs in the area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Just to clarify - Landsdowne Road Station is before Sandymount Station as you come out of the city centre on the DART.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Thanks tapl & apologies for the confusion SligoGal !

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

No probs - of course, Sandymount IS before Landsdowne if you're heading into the city!

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

No problem with the confusion, I don't think I could be any more confused than I was to start lol. Have been looking at hotels there (thanks for the links). Was on irishrail.ie looking at the timetables and maybe I'm just not quite with it today but I can't see times for arrivals at Lansdowne Road from Connolly only early in the day, and sometime after 5 in the evening. Is there like a set time they leave or a particular general destination I should be looking for?

Thanks again for all the help - I really am clueless when it comes to Dublin...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. It's really straightforward. Using the journey planner on the Irish Rail homepage, just put in the stations you want to travel to (Lansdowne Road) and from (Dublin Connolly), the date you want to travel and time slot you want to travel (select from the drop down menu). You will then be given a timetables for that day and time of day you selected and you just need to click on 'earlier trains' or 'later trains' for trains either side of them. I've just tried it and I had no problems.

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere to stay near the IPA on Lansdowne Rd

Just got it to work there, no idea why it wasn't the other times I tried. I think I'll take the DART out as opposed to a bus, it seems more straightforward anyway. And I'm sure I'll find somewhere to stay. I think its just the fear that I'll get lost somewhere along the way. Thanks a mill for all the help. I think once I get the first trip over me it'll be a lot easier!!