We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
money exchange

staying at jurys inn, in the financil area.

not going until dec but as we're going for new year might need to exchange sterling over there as might get through a lot of money.

does anyone know if the hotel offers money exchange or if anywhere near by does. i don't think bank's will be open. land 31st dec & fly home 3rd jan (falls over a weekend)

thanks

1. Re: money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 11:36
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange

Why not just use ATMs to withdraw Euro? I travel back and forth to the UK pretty regularly and that's what I do. There are ATMs in Dublin Airport and all over Dublin.

Most UK ATM cards can be used here - just check that your card has Cirrus, Maestro or Plus logos on it. If it has Maestro, you should also be able to use it as you would a Switch card to pay for goods and services in places that offer this service.

Irish banks will not charge you for using ATMs here, and there are no private ATMs such as you'll find in the UK. But your own bank may charge you (some such as Nationwide don't) so you'll need to check with them. In any case, it's likely to be cheaper than paying commission at a bank or bureau de change.

31st December is a Thursday, so banks will be open on that day but will close until 4th January. You'll also find bureaux de change open at Dublin Airport. I'd avoid changing money in hotels as they usually offer very poor rates or charge significant amounts of commission.

If you take a look at the Top Questions about Ireland section on the Ireland Forum, you'll find more information about changing money.

Also, don't leave it until late on NYE to withdraw money, especially in central areas of the city as ATMS in these locations are likely to empty out and may not be refilled until late Saturday or even Sunday.

birmingham
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange

thanks for the fast reply.

we're taking euros with us but don't know if we will run out (don't know how much we will get through on new yrs, which is our first night & couple of days sight seeing as well as meals) rather take enough than too much as we'd be out of pocket when we got back even if we sold them back to the post office or someone)

ideally wanted to stay away from atms becuase of the charges. i'm visa don't think it has any of the above you mentioned & i'm with the halifax.

thanks though :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange

You can also use Visa and Mastercards in ATMs here. It's up to you but carrying large amounts of cash around is not a good idea and the general experience of posters here is that charges levied by banks for use of ATMs is less than commission charges for currency exchange.

To be honest, you won't have a lot of alternative options to ATMs open to you on the days when you are here. You're likely to pay through the nose for hotel exchange or any bureaux that will be open around New Year. If you have an ATM card you can use, I'd bring it as back up. Marks and Spencers have bureaux de change in their stores and while they don't charge commission, you're likely to get a less favourable exchange rate in return. The nearest branch to your hotel is in Henry Street, but there's also a store in Grafton Street. These are likely to be closed on 1st January but open on 2nd.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
290 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange

hiya, id say use atms's i dont think they charge a lot for withdrawal. Lloyds tsb charge from £2-4.50 which isnt too bad- just try 2 lift out a lump sum rather than returning to the atms a lot.

6. Re: money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 05:19