We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Hi,

I am booking a flight to Dublin for mid December and I'm planning to spend a week or so in Galway around the 25th of December. I was thinking to leave Dublin December 24th in the morning, or maybe even leave on Christmas day. Does anyone know if the train operates on both or either of those days? I would prefer to take the train but I will take the bus if its my only option at that time of year.

Thanks

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Trains dont run on Christmas day. the 24th will be a very busy travel day.

Book your seat online at www.irishrail.ie

You can book up to 28 days in advance so I would recommend you book exactly 28 days prior to when you intend returning to Dublin

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

As irish_eyes1000 has said, the trains on 24th are likely to be very crowded all day and there's no public transport (including trains) on 25th or 26th. There's usually a huge exodus from Dublin on Christmas Eve as people based in the capital but with family in other parts of the country head home to spend the Christmas period with them, so it's not a good day to be travelling unless you have to. If you have flexibility, I would opt to travel on 23rd when it's likely to be less chaotic. If not then the it's good advice to book your ticket online for 24th as early as is possible.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Ireland and the Irish are mad keen on a big 'family Christmas' and the word 'exodus' as used by tapl rings very true during the pre-Christmas run-up. The boats, planes, trains and buses are stretched to the limit so please book your transport as soon as is possible and expect it to be rammed! Unlike the UK the country is very much closed down on the 25th and only a few things (mainly pubs) will start to re-open on the evening of the 26th - with it falling on a weekend this year do expect the 27th to be pretty desolate too. It's a lovely time to explore if you're not celebrating the holiday and you'll have the roads to yourself :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Toronto: I have travelled many times by train on the 24th from Dublin to Galway.

I have always caught the early train around 7.10 a.m.

It is surprisingly empty !!!

I would imagine the later trains are very busy though so if you are not prepared to get the 7 am train do not travel later in the day. Crazy busy!

The 7.10 am train usually gets busy the closer you get to Galway City with people getting on in Athenry and some other rural stations to head into Galway to do some last minute shopping. It can be a nice time to travel!

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Thank you for your quick replies!

Do any of the bus companies go from Dublin to Galway on Christmas day too? The only bus I know of that goes from Dublin to Galway is Citylink, are there any other companies that go that route during the holidays?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

Toronto : Nobody works on Christmas Day only the emergency services!

Ireland literally shuts down :-)

There may be some sort of a service on St Stephen's Day (26th) but it will not be a full service!

According to the Bus Eireann website you have to enquire about St Stephen's day services as i doubt they will run a bus if there are no passengers.

Locals won't be going anywhere i'm afraid ;-)

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202289527-20.pdf

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

There are no transport services (state run/public or privately run) at all on Christmas Day. Even the airports are closed. ragoora is right - the whole country effectively shuts down for the day. Even to get a taxi you would most likely have to book one in advance and pay dearly for it.

There are no public transport services on 26th December (St. Stephen's Day) but the airports are open so you might find a skeleton service operating on some of the private routes.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

There will be some bus services on St. Stephen's Day, but only to a Sunday timetable at most, and probably with a lot of services curtailed on top of that. No trains run on the 25th or 26th.

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

The reason I asked about buses is because the citylink website shows that it is running at muliple times on December 25th and everyone is saying "nothing is running on Christmas Day". Is that an error on the citylink website?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Dublin to Galway at Christmas

I've checked directly with them and they say they are planning to run a much reduced service on Christmas Day but at this stage they can't say which services so you would need to check back with them at a later date. They won't be running any services on 26th December. It's a bit odd as usually nothing moves on Christmas Day (as various people have already said). But people are more likely to travel on 26th when the airports are open again but yet they have no services on that day!