We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Enfield from Dublin?

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
How far is Enfield from Dublin?

Can someone please tell me how far Enfield is from Dublin?

Also, what type of transport would I need to take to go from Enfield into the city center of Dublin for tourist activities, etc.? Do I have to rent a car or is there reliable public transportation available?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Enfield from Dublin?

It's in County Meath and about 46km from central Dublin, 53km from Dublin Airport.

There are direct trains from Connolly Station in the north city centre to Enfield which take about 45 mins.

www.irishrail.ie

You can get also get there by Bus Eireann bus and the journey takes about 50 mins. You can catch the bus just outside Connolly Station.

www.buseireann.ie

Mentioned in this post
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Enfield from Dublin?

With bus and train links to Dublin city centre from Enfield and back, I wouldn't consider driving as an option. It's really not a good idea for visitors to drive in the city centre due to traffic congestion, medieval street patterns, complex traffic systems, and scarce/expensive parking. It's also a pretty hopeless way of trying to sightsee.

You can take the LUAS (tram) to and from Connolly station a couple of stops the very centre of the city and beyond. Once in the city centre, it's very easy to get around a lot of the sights on foot and the LUAS will take you to or close to those which are a little further (the National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks, Phoenix Park, Guinness Storehouse, Royal Hospital Kilmainham and Kilmainham Gaol). You can then catch the LUAS back to Connolly for your bus/train.

Keep in mind if planning an evening out in the city that the last train back to Enfield is usually around 7pm and the last bus is around 11pm.

You'll find more information about things to see and do, how to get around and lots more useful suggestions and recommendations in the Top Questions about Dublin section on the right hand side of the Dublin Forum.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Phoenix Park
Phoenix Park
79 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Guinness Storehouse
Guinness Storehouse
35,204 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Royal Hospital Kilmainham
Royal Hospital Kilmainham
87 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Kilmainham Gaol
Kilmainham Gaol
21,319 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Enfield from Dublin?

The bus service is probably the better option with buses passing through on the hour.

Flattery's Pub is a nice place for lunch and check out the walk along the Grand Canal!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Enfield from Dublin?

Hi Bornwithpassport

Is there a particular reason you are staying in Enfield? It is not exactly a hub of activity day-or night and you will be restricted if you are dependant on public transport

Have a look at http://www.enfield.ie/online.html

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Enfield from Dublin?

Wow, thanks for everyone's helpful response and prompt reply. I have relatives that live in Enfield so I wanted to figure out if it would make more sense for me to stay in Enfield too or stay in Dublin.

Given the distance & time to Dublin city center, it sounds like I should definitely plan to base myself in Dublin. Thanks everyone for all the helpful links, etc.

6. Re: How far is Enfield from Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:22