We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boxing night in dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
10 posts
Save Topic
boxing night in dublin

Can anyone recommend some nice bars and perhaps a club to go to on boxing night? Do you have to get tickets in advance? We are two 30-ish girls so preferably not somewhere full of kids. Thanks

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boxing night in dublin

The main place for boxing in Dublin is the National Boxing Stadium which is located on the South Circular Rd within easy reach of the city centre.

Best to check the schedule and see if something is on whilst you are hear.

www.nationalstadium.ie/Events/events.html

If you look at the top questions on the right hand side of the page you will get advice regarding bars etc. If you want something more specific, come back and ask

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boxing night in dublin

jollies09 - Are you by any chance referring to the 26th December? What we call St. Stephen's Day?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boxing night in dublin

I'd say she is!

Funny I actually thought the thread was about "boxing" too. Then realized it was about St Stephen's Night.

Big night especially down the country but I've never spebnt the night in Dublin City so can't comment ;-)

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boxing night in dublin

Oops....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boxing night in dublin

Yes Boxing Day UK, St Stephens Ireland. There may be some restricted hours but to avoid the younger end (is 30 old?) then avoid some of Temple bar, you can judge the age range by the smokers outside the doors. I will be having Boxing day in the Windmill,Southport.

liverpool
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: boxing night in dublin

oops sorry , I meant St Stephens day! thanks for all your help!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boxing night in dublin

On St Stephen's Day itself you should head out to Sandymount Village as there will be a Wren Boys Festival on in the village Green.

It's only about 15 mins from town in a taxi and if the day is nice it's good fun.

www.dun-laoghaire.com/dir/wranboys.html

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: boxing night in dublin

Hi jollies09

I lived in the UK for years and to be honest, there's much more of a shut down here in Ireland on both Christmas Day and St. Stephen Day than over there. People in Dublin tend to spend both days at home or visiting family.

All pubs and clubs are closed on Christmas Day and some don't re-open until 27th. So you might not have a lot of choice on St. Stephen's night. Public transport is limited and the shops don't open the way they do in the UK so it's likely to be pretty quiet around town. Even in the suburbs, many of those pubs which do open for a time on St. Stephen's Day restrict entry to their regulars.

If you will also be here for Christmas Day, you'll need to organise yourself in advance as everything (pubs, shops, restaurants, cafes, transport, airport etc. etc) will be closed down with only the odd corner shop or garage opening for maybe a couple of hours.

liverpool
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: boxing night in dublin

rrrr thanks for the last post. Boxing night is a big night in the UK so may have to rethink it then, got my flights for £14 so wont be out of pocket much. Thanks for the advice.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: boxing night in dublin

Stephens night tends to be an 'Industry' night in Dublin city. That means some bars, clubs do open, but the main clientelle are staff of pubs/restaurants etc who have worked over the whole of the run up to christmas. Also it tends to be a big night out for the non christmas celebrating folk in town, who have had to stay put due to everthing being closed christmas day.

There is a lot of fun around town, but very little for anyone looking for the typical touristy stuff. It is a night I really like in Dublin.

In Suburbs it is much more of a family affair, with mostly only 'family houses' or independently run pubs opening for select hours.

As Tapl said it tends to be a day when a lot of locals stay close to home.