We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wot No Shamrock !

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wot No Shamrock !

Just got back from a two day visit to Dublin, visited five of the " traditional Irish pubs" and had pints of the black stuff in allof them, but never got the shamrock on top. Has this tradition died out ?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wot No Shamrock !

In our experience it's mainly something bar staff do for tourists. As locals we generally don't get shamrocks adorning our pints so it might just be that you weren't marked out as a visitor and/or you were drinking in mainly non-touristy pubs.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wot No Shamrock !

The only place we've ever had a shamrock on the top of a pint is at The Caledonian Hotel in Edinburgh!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wot No Shamrock !

My Dad once got a shamrock on his pint in an Irish Pub in Boston.

I actually wasn't aware the practice was carried out here !

Ya learn something new every day ;-)

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wot No Shamrock !

Our local in Athlone sometimes does it. The Guinness still tastes the same though. :-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wot No Shamrock !

Its a marketing thing done in UK pubs to wean the innocents away from their Lager not that there's much difference these days unfortunately. Real Guinness as it was came through 1/2 inch pipes and took an awful long time to settle, then have the head levelled. Oh nostalgia, I think they do the shamrock in the Storehouse and they do it at Shannon airport for the none native accents like me. Try the Big Window in Burnley.

6. Re: Wot No Shamrock !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2010, 05:18