We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham to Dublin by bus

london
2 posts
Save Topic
Birmingham to Dublin by bus

I am going to dublin for for visit by bus. The journy is around 13 hours. Deos anyone knows that national express bus will goes in ferry or drop us on HOLYHEAD, ferry terminal and then i need to buy ticket again for ferry . If bus goes in ferry, can i come out from bus or stying all the time on seat. Is there any meal service in ferry. how long it could take to travel in ferry. and where is immigration check. how long it could take.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
552 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

If they state the journey is Birmingham to Dublin, then your ferry trip is included in the fare.

I don't think safety procedures allow you to stay in the bus while it is on the ferry.

There are many different restaurants on the ferry, for all budgets.

The journey takes about 3-3 1/2 hours from Holyhead.

Immigration is on arrival in Dublin. I have no idea how long it would take.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

I have travelled on the Eurolines bus from Germany to Dublin and it stopped in Birmingham, too. The journey from there to Dublin did not take 13 hours but much less than that. The bus ticket to Dublin includes the ferry fare. You will not be allowed to stay on the bus while on the ferry (why would you want to do that anyway?). The fast ferry takes just under two hours, the slower one takes about 3 and a half hours from Holyhead to Dublin.

As stated by newgrange there are several possibilities for eating on the ferry, you can have a sandwich or a full meal. The immigration check will be in Dublin.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

The ferry is very big and vehicles go onto the lower decks, not the sort where you stay on the bus. There are plenty of seats, and a cinema on some, not sure about that particular one. Even the cheapest restaurants are fairly expensive. You could bring sandwiches and just buy drinks if you wish.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 14:18
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

Give them a call.

goldenpages.ie/Garda_Siochana/Garda_National…

london
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

Thank you all of you to sharing information.

Can any one tell me do i need to keep my passport to going Ireland or Driving licence is acceptable to enter in Ireland (I had British passport and driving licence).. Some one told me that i just need to show my driving licence and don,t need to keep my passport even he told me their is randomly immigration checking at Dublin immigration port.(Not checking every bus or all individual)

why i am going through bus is i have 4 weeks holidays and i want to enjoy this trip as much as i can

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

Since you have a passport I would suggest you bring it. It used to be very casual getting though the ferry ports, but I think they have tightened up a bit.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

I agree Doneraile. A passport is not strictly required but travel has become so complicated that I always bring mine if I am going to England. It makes life a lot easier.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

If you have a British passport why are you worrying about immigration?

9. Re: Birmingham to Dublin by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 05:17