We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

understanding of the city

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
understanding of the city

Hello to all, trying to plan a day trip out of Dublin & was wondering what pick-up point is closer to my hotel (Fitzwilliam @ St.Stephan Green) Merrion Sq. or Nassau St.? Also have tickets for St.Patrick Day Parade (start location @ Parnell Sq) how far is that from my hotel (walking)?Have also been told to leave the parade before the end & secure a spot at local pub ..was thinking of either Cassidy's or Grogans (for I believe they are close to the hotel)any other suggestions?

Many Thanks

coco45

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: understanding of the city

It depends on where in Nassau Street (which runs from the bottom of Grafton Street to Merrion Square) or Merrion Square (it's a sizeable square) your pick up points are. There's not much in it, really. Probably Nassau Street by a nose but they're too close to agonise over it!

Just to clarify in case people start to panic here...! You don't need tickets for the St. Patrick's Day Parade - you just turn up and joint the crowds on the pavements/sidewalks along the parade route (Parnell Square to St. Patrick's Cathedral). So if you have tickets, that means you're heading for the Parade Grandstand, which is usually located around the General Post Office in O'Connell Street. Allow about 20 minutes to walk from your hotel to the Parade Grandstand. Our advice would be to get there early as the crash barriers and assembling crowds along either side of the footpath/sidewalk along the parade route make it difficult to cross from one side of the road to the other when it gets close to the starting time for the parade.

Good advice to head off just before the end of the parade to find a spot in a pub. Grogans's would be our choice. It's a venerable old Dublin pub untouched by modernity, it's within a short stagger of your hotel and it's a great place to 'drown the shamrock'!

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: understanding of the city

thanks for the info..yes i do have tickets to the grandstand seating which starts @ parnell sq/hugh lane gallery. so give myself 20 to get there & would that mean 20 minutes to get to Grogans pub? the pick up point on nassau st said it was across the street from the tourist board?well knowing they are both close i will decide laterwould u say 5-10 min away

coco45

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: understanding of the city

The only tourist board offices I can think off in Nassau Street is the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. If the pick up point is there, then it would be marginally closer than Merrion Square but we are talking about a couple of minutes' walk in the difference. It takes about 15 minutes' walk to either but if there is a pick up time I 'd make sure you don't go to the wire on that.

The parade starts at Parnell Square/Hugh Lane Gallery, not the seating. There isn't seating along the whole route, just one stand usually near the General Post Office in O'Connell Street. If in doubt, contact the St. Patrick's Festival organisers for clarification. It will take you about 20 minutes to walk from your hotel to the usual grandstand seating location.

It would normally take you around 15 mins or so to walk back from the grandstand seating area outside the GPO to Grogan's but allow more time for crowds.

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: understanding of the city

thank u again..will look into the grandstand seats for the parade.

coco45

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: understanding of the city

Hey proper Dub's don't sit in the grandstand anyway we just find a viewing point outside one of the many pub's on the parade route. Makes sense to me dude.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: understanding of the city

Just a note about the Northern Ireland Tourist office. It has closed it's office on Nassau St since the Autumn.

It has relocated to the Tourist Information Centre on Suffolk St.

Edited: 21 January 2010, 10:33
toronto,canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: understanding of the city

thanks much for the info...as for sitting in the grandstand I'm travelling with 2 children & it makes life alot easier knowing they can sit when tired & not have to sit on my shoulders for hours....If It were just my husband & I then I would be standing..

coco45

8. Re: understanding of the city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 05:16