We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Hi--

I've been reading the Ireland forum every day, planning our spring trip. We are staying at the RC Powerscourt, and I know the Dalkey, Bray, Sandycove area is not far from Enniskerry.

I've noticed a few posts from HPurple suggesting a visit to the Dalkey area. Is it very easy to get to from Enniskerry? How would you suggest getting there-- taking the motorway (suggested by AA maps) or just taking streets?

Also would love to know:

1. If taking public transit from Enniskerry to Dublin, would it make sense to park the car in Sandycove or Dalkey, take transit (LUAS, bus, DART?) into Dublin; come back in the evening and have dinner or go to a pub in Sandycove or Dalkey? Is there transit in Dalkey itself?

2. Is Dalkey "worth a visit" just in itself (alone or along with Dun L.), and if so, how would you spend your visit, and where would you eat? (On the Dalkey website, Queens looks nice... have you eaten there?) Are there any pubs there that have trad sessions in the evening?

Thanks for any advice. This looks like a nice place for a low key afternoon and evening, near where we are staying.

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Hi Pasca,

If you have a car you could think about driving to your nearest DART station from Powerscourt which is Bray and leaving your car at the DART station. Getting into town from Bray is just a matter of getting on the DART all the way in - takes 50 mins or so but is considered a short enough commute by many and actually is a lovely journey for the most part along the coast. Try and get seats on the right when going into town and watch out for the spectacular views between Killiney and Dalkey. I hope you get nice weather.

For Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove & Dalkey again you could leave the car at Bray and DART down to Dun Laoghaire and walk back to Dalkey and have dinner there. Look at making a relaxed early lunch to evening outing of it. Walk the Bullock Harbour route back to Dalkey. Dalkey is a pretty upmarket village and I think it is definitely worth a visit. It is relatively small but if you take your time mooching around you will enjoy it. The coastline in Dalkey is the bonus. Make sure to walk up to the summit (small) in Sorrento Park - this view is pretty special and sitting in the lovely Dillon’s Park opposite the island with a coffee and cake from the home made cake shop in Dalkey village is a worthy homage to yourself and the beauty. Dinner in Dalkey – The very much ‘in’ place is: Ouzos. It is indeed very nice, pricey though but has rave reviews on www.menugpages.ie which you should check out. I haven’t eaten in the Queens in ages so not sure but another lovely pub for a drink and perhaps bar food is Finnegan’s. I would suggest a drink/coffee etc., in a few of the pubs and perhaps book one of the restaurants. Ragazzi’s is a good little Italian too but can seem a bit squashed but don't let that put you off. Then you can DART back to Bray. The road between Powerscourt & Enniskerry is windy and once you get on to the motorway it is very straightforward but look at your route as always in advance.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 09:48
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Thanks very much for the detailed post. It does sound like visiting Dalkey and perhaps Dun L. (I won't attempt to spell it...) would be a very nice low-key day.

Is it an easy walk between the two?

I am curious-- if we are visiting Dalkey on a different day than our visit to Dublin---is there a reason to drive to Bray and then take the DART from Bray to Dalkey, rather than simply driving all the way to Dalkey from Enniskerry? Is the drive from Bray to Dalkey confusing?

3. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 16:11
Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Hi Pasca,

As ScutchGrass says the drive is no problem at all. I’m all for abandoning the car and using public transport (when it's half decent and the DART is) but it is how you feel. I think it is a good idea to walk from Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey via Sandycove & Bullock Harbour as you can stop and start when you feel like it. It would take you one hour at a relaxed pace and then I would advise factoring in plenty of extra time to tour around the small village and hills of Dalkey and even Killiney if you were up to it.

www.dalkeyhomepage.ie/postcard2.html

Edited: 12 February 2010, 12:33
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Thank you both very much. Very clear. I am curious as to the purpose of the unusual monument in the photo that ScutchGrass sent...

6. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 16:11
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Well, I dutifully copied off this page before travelling, but then discovered that I had left it in the glove compartment of the rented car in Enniskerry this morning, after getting on the DART for the day... so we decided to just wing it. My memory was VERY faulty, so we ended up taking an entirely different walk-- but it turned out to be pretty wonderful.

After an early afternoon in Dublin, we took the DART to Killeney. From there, we took the coastal walk up the hill from Killeney to Dalkey, staying along the coast the whole way. Passed gorgeous homes with fantastic views that aroused all sorts of covetous feelings in us (I want THAT ONE!! No, THAT one!). Every now and then saw jaw-dropping views of the whole coastline, seen over amazing gardens. Many photo-ops. Rested at a little park opposite Dalkey Island, where we had a nice long chat with some bicycle riders who stopped to ask about my husband's camera, and informed us that one of the houses we had passed on our coastal walk belonged to Bono of U2. I was amazed to read on the informative sign at the park, that the church visible on the tiny island is 10Th Century, and the round tower is from the Napoleonic Wars, and that some of the earliest neolithic remains in Ireland have been found there. That's a lot of history for 23 acres!

After about 4 (my estimate) strenuous miles, we arrived in Dalkey, which is an absolutely charming as well as clearly upscale village. We had a fabulous dinner at Ragazzi-- great recommendation, we loved it. Wonderful food, great atmosphere, and a cozy place to rest our feet.

Took the DART back to Bray, and the 185 bus back to Enniskerry.

A great day!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

It is an easy and very pretty walk from Dun L. to Dalkey. Make sure to stop and see the people swimming at the "beach".

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Pasca,

Soo glad you enjoyed yourselves and it sounds as if you managed to cover most, perhaps the only one missed off would be the view from the summit of Sorrento Park and your husband would have captured some cool photos from this vista but sounds to me you tapped into the magic. Glad too you liked Ragazzi's, don't know if you sampled their special Focaccia Al Rosmarino but that is the out and out business.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Dalkey, Sandycove, Dun L. area (HPurple?)

Rather than staying in the city centre I would encourage others to head on a day trip with nice lunch included to one of our coastal villages. Just take the DART, It's so easy.