We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Hello everyone.

I leave in 2 weeks for my trip to Dublin and am wondering if there are any grocery stores near my hotel (Trinity Capital). My husband and I like to save $$ by picking up food and having picnic lunches sometimes while on vacation (if the weather cooperates). Any great picnic places? Also is it ok to drink wine in public, with our picnic? It's actually illegal in my area to have alcohol out in the open.

Thanks

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Yeap I think the nearest decent supermarket would be Dunnes Stores on South Great Georges Street. Bring your carrier bag as you get charged for bags.

Listening to the all familiar sound of empty cider and beer cans rolling around in the breeze on the streets of Dublin one would think that drinking in public is legal but in fact there is little or no enforcement but in the centre of town you might attract unwanted attention.

For a picnic get the DART out to Dalkey and Killiney and head up the hills or up to one of the fabulous parks along the coastline.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

There is a Spar convenience store just around the corner from the Trinity Capital in Tara St. These are generally more expensive than supermarkets though. You'll find a food hall in Marks and Spencers in Grafton Street (not the cheapest but very tasty and high quality produce) and if you continue up Grafton Street to the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre you'll find a branch of Dunnes which is one of Ireland's best value supermarket chains andwhich has hot and cold food to take away for picnics.

Haven't found ourselves wading through cider and beer cans in Dublin but if you'd like a picnic in the middle of the city, then head to either St. Stephen's Green or the Iveagh Gardens,both about 15 mins walk from your hotel and lovely park locations for dining al fresco (and there are summerhouses to shelter in if it rains). The parks have bye laws about the consumption of alcohol within their perimeters but in our experience a discreet glass of wine or two is not a problem, but it's up to you.

heritageireland.ie/en/Dublin/StStephensGreen/

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Edited: 19 March 2010, 20:16
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

There are some benches on a modern walkway suspended over the River Liffey at Bachelors Walk that make a nice spot for a casual snack type picnic too:

…flickr.com/1191/810369078_c72476fb31_o.jpg

It's right next to the Ha'penny Bridge (just out of view in the picture but it's to the left hand side) and there are plenty of seagulls to feed your leftover crumbs too ;-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Tapl, no need to exaggerate about the wading in the empty 'Drink' cans business and perhaps you are unaware that there even is a so called proper name for the practice of the copious amounts of unsociable drinking that goes on in this shabby little city of ours "....... drinking" I don't think it is my imagination somehow. Ragoora – picnicking over the Liffey on the boardwalk sounds very romantic but have you been there lately? Some parts perhaps are nice’ish apart from the need of a supersonic power hosing, but mainly the place is used for drug dealing or for sorry collapsed living tales of destitute, not my idea of a picnic. I take it that Punkrockdoc can look after himself.

Edited: 20 March 2010, 10:49
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Great minds, ragoora......! On warmer and drier days in the city centre, we often get delicious sandwiches from the Italian deli in the Epicurean Food Hall in nearby Liffey Street and head to the boardwalk by the Ha'penny Bridge to eat them. In the summer months, there's also a coffee stand with tables, chairs and parasols on the boardwalk just by O'Connell Bridge which is a pleasant place to seagull and people watch for a while (especially now that many of the huge trucks that polluted the quays have been diverted tothe M50 and the Port Tunnel).

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Had a lovely lunch-time picnic at Bachelors Walk on a sunny day last November and took a load of photos of the Ha'penny bridge with seagulls in the foreground - best photos we've ever taken in Dublin. Wherever you choose to picnic punkrockdoc we hope you enjoy your time in Dublin :-)

Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

Thanks for the tips everyone.

8. Re: grocers near Trinity Capital Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 07:15