We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and Markets in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping and Markets in Dublin

Putting my final itenary together for our trip in a couple of days and needed some additional information on a few places.

1. Georges St. Market - what type of market is this and is it part of Georges St. Arcade? Are they one in the same?

2. Moore St. Market - have heard very little on this but know it's close to the spire. Is this a vegetable/fruit market only? Is it similar to the Georges St. Market? Is it worth seeing?

3. Powerscourt Shopping - where is this located and is it just a shopping center? Is it worth visiting if you are going to be shopping on Grafton St.?

4. Stephens Green Shopping Center - is it similar to the Powerscourt Shopping Center?

I also believe that I have heard of a cobblestone shopping area in an older part of Dublin... is it one of these that I have listed above?

Thanks for your help!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

Oopps! I really do know how to spell itinerary... lol! Guess there are too many last minute things going thru my head today in prep for our trip! :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

I'd say that Georges St Market and Arcade are one and the same; I've only ever heard it referred to as the Arcade, but I can't think of anything else around there that would be considered a market. The Arcade is nice, full of interesting stalls and shops.

Moore St is a fruit and veg and fish market.

Powerscourt is located on Clarendon Street, which is parallel to Grafton St, with another entrance at the rear on Sth Andrew St. Well worth a visit, with individual shops and no chains.

Stephen's Green shopping centre is more mainstream, not great IMO.

I'm trying to think of a cobblestone shopping area? The streets around Powerscourt might fit the bill somewhat, and Temple Bar too.

You should also check out Avoca on Suffolk St and the Kilkenny shop on Nassau St - both lovely shops filled with nice things.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

The George's St arcade is certainly worth a walk through.

The building itself is beautiful.

You will find books,fudge and some paintings for sale.

http://www.georgesstreetarcade.ie/

Moore St used to be the heart and soul of Dublin where generations of dublin women sold their fruit and veg . In recent times the street Dublin City Council have allowed the street to become very scruffy. the older generation are dying off and the shouts of "get yiz er apples & oranges ,10 for a euro" is disappearing. Still worth taking a walk down the Henry St (side of G'P.O) and locating Moore St on your right.

It is cobbled so this is probably the street you heard about!

There is also a flea market which takes place the last Sunday of every month in the Liberties in Dublin.

http://dublinflea.ie/index.html

Edited: 31 March 2010, 23:29
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

Thank you Andarma and Suzy_flag. I will print this off and take it with me.

I will be visiting the Avoca store when we are in Killarney doing the Gap of Dunloe so unless they are all different I will probably skip the one in Dublin. Had not heard of the Kilkeeny shop so I will definitely check it out too.

One last thing...

Are the Georges St. Market/Arcade and the Moore St. Market open every day?

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

I'm wondering if the cobblestone shopping area you've heard of is Smithfield? The plaza there is cobblestone BUT it's not really (as far as I know) an interesting shopping area. Mainstream shops. I think the goal was to make it a shopping alternative, but I don't think it's really gotten there what with the economic meltdown.

There is a fantastic pub on the north end of Smithfield plaza appropriately called The Cobblestone. Maybe the best traditional music in Dublin. Also on the south end of the plaza is a great little cafe called Cinnamon. Great porridge and loose leaf tea selections (and breakfast and sandwiches and soup and salads). About mid-way up the plaza on the east side is the Old Jameson Distillery. No longer operational but gives tours if you have interest.

Keith

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

There's also a nice market for one off clothing etc in Cow's Lane if you are here on a Saturday.

dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/1/pt/0/spid/21C35…

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

Unfortunately we don't have a thriving city centre trendy markets like the one in Seattle or indeed Kansas? However in addition to the ones listed above;

We have a lovely Sunday market out here in Dun Laoghaire (23mins on the DART) starts around 11.00am subject to non torrential rain & held in the Peoples Park. It is definitely worth a trip out and this gives you on opportunity to shop, sit and eat with the urban dwellers of Dublin, and I think that is part of the whole attraction of markets - that vibe thing. It will be similar to the one held in Temple Bar's Meeting House Sq on a Saturday but perhaps a little bigger.

Also there is a ramshackle market held in Blackrock, best on Sundays with lots of bits and pieces and again has that vibe thing going on. Again it is small scale in comparison to Seattle etc., but I think it's nice for a wander round. London is where it is at for markets - fantastic.

8. Re: Shopping and Markets in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 06:29