We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Topic
The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

The Natural History Museum in Merrion Square (known affectionately by generations of Dubliners as "The Dead Zoo") is due to reopen on 29th April. The 'Dead Zoo at Large' exhibition which was temporarily housed at the National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks has now closed.

The Natural History Museum closed suddenly three years ago after the dramatic collapse of a stone staircase which injured some visitors and has been undergoing extensive renovation since.

The Dead Zoo has always been a wonderful, old fashioned Victorian museum, reminiscent of a mad explorer's attic and thankfully the restoration work appears to have maintained its original character. Admission is free.

http://www.museum.ie/en/homepage.aspx

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Fantastic news - it was one of our favourite museums anywhere with all it's fragile glass jellyfish and olde-worlde stuffed animal dioramas :-)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Wonderful childhood memories of that magical place

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,652 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

love it too!

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Excellent! Something more to do in Dublin when I come back in October!

Keith

Dublin
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Best news yet. Used to go to school locally and would visit it every week. Brought our grandaughter there when she was 3 years old. She would often ask to be brought back...now we can do it. Great and it's free!

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

That's great news... I'll be arriving on May 1 and it's definitely on my list of things to do! :-)

Arizona
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Sounds very interesting! Looks like I have one more thing to squeeze into my itinerary.

"reminiscent of a mad explorer's attic" ...sounds like when we used to explore in my grannies attic!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

Great news!

Our kids love The Dead Zoo, and have missed it terribly. It's one of a number of "different" museums in Dublin that we love to visit regularly. Another of our favourites is Number 29 (Georgian House Museum) just 200 metres from the Dead Zoo ( http://www.esb.ie/main/about-esb/numbertwentynine/default.htm)

We also love the Museum of Childhood, in Malahide (in the courtyard of Malahide Castle). It houses the incredible Tara's Palace, and hundreds of antique toys and miniatures. (www.taraspalace.ie)

9. Re: The Dead Zoo comes back to life!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 05:16