We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Is the Volcanic Ash Cloud causing the Irish sky to be hazy? My airline is allowing me to cancel my upcoming 25 May trip to Ireland without fees. I prefer to go and take my chances but I am afraid the ash cloud may be causing a negative impact on the weather there. Mark D.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,271 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

The only weather issues here are part of the protracted and extremely cold winter we have just experienced.

Watery snow is forecast on high ground overnight.

We've had the coldest winter since 1962/63 and an incredibly late spring.

The ash isn't having any impact on the ground.

New Jersey
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Wow, thanks for the info. I noticed it has been cold there lately. Between the cold weather and the flight delays I am having serious second thoughts.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,640 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

If you try to plan a trip to Ireland when there's good weather you'll never get there. :)

You just bring layers, take something to keep the rain off of you, and hope for the best. You might have fantastic weather, you might have cool and rainy weather...might get both within 2 hours on the same afternoon...

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

We had ten days of fantastic weather in mid-April (in the midst of the eruption). No ash... no rain, either.

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Here in Hawaii we occasionally have VOG, volcanic fog. It makes the sky a bit hazy but also makes for brilliant sunrises and sunsets.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

I was in Dingle last week, for several days there were no planes and the weather was beautiful, clear skies (no plane trails seems to help here) and sunshine, ok, it wasnt hot but it was wonderful.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Beautiful morning here in Dublin today. Clear blue skies with the occasional "Simpsons" clouds floating on high. I am off to get my €1 cup of coffee down in UCD college grounds and sit alfresco amongst the chatter of the exam sitting students. Then back to continue digging out that old tree stump in the back garden. I will miss it when it's gone, it has given me great exercise.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
364 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Hi,

What temperature should I expect for the first days of June this year? Low 20'es?, High 10's? I mean Celsius of course.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

Average day time temperature for June is around 18 degrees celsius. After an unusually cold winter, spring has also been cooler than usual. Average day time temperatures for May are around 16 degrees celsius but so far we've only had highs of around 12 degrees celsius so far this month. Lots of bright, sunny days but a bit cooler than usual.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aesthetic Impact of Volcanic Ash Cloud

I was in west Donegal at the weekend - the weather was fantastic - sunny but cold. Layers is the order of the day. I lay on the beach at Loughros Point and looked up at the beautiful blue sky with one vapour trail making its way across. I was wearing two hooded tops as well as a long sleeved tee. It was fantastic. That evening the orange sunset streaked right across the sky into the east! I think that was as a result of volcanic dust. Otherwise there is no effect on the weather.