We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Days

UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy Days

Hello

It looks like our much anticipated holiday next week will have heavy rain on every single day. You expect a bit of rain but every day is a bit of a disappointment to say the least.

There are loads of things to do inside which we will still enjoy in Dublin but we definately want to get out and about. I know it's subjective but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the sorts of places that still "do the business" even in heavy rain.

I wonder if places like the military road and Sally gap are likely to be covered in low cloud which means the sites can't be seen. Perhaps staying by the sea at low level is best?

Many thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Days

You should be used to unpredictable weather in the UK! Just remembering the past two summers which were washouts so by those standards this summer has been a winner so far.

For the last week we have been experiencing very heavy rain (after prolonged dry spell) but it's not been all day every day. There have been some mornings that have been wet and grey and then by lunchtime we've had blue skies and sunshine. The evenings have been pretty nice and settled too, warm and sunny. We'd just proceed with your plans if we were you.

In terms of the Sally Gap and Military Road, the main weather conditions that tend to cause problems there are snow and ice and it's the wrong time of year for that. The only road closures there that we have been aware of recently were down to some filming taking place. You can check road conditions on this site but you should be fine.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

While it may not be blue skies and sunshine (or it may be, you never know), you are unlikely to experience poor visibility due to low cloud - these locations are really not that high. And it continues to be warm.

As we've said, the weather is changeable at present. It's certainly not wall to wall rain and there are bright spells throughout the day so don't be too downhearted.

UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Days

Mamny thanks. You have lifted the spirits a bit. Just happened to look at Irish Met Office and BBC weather and they showed wall to wall rain for all the 5 days but as you say they can only show one symbol for a day and the sun may break through.

Where we live in the UK apparently gets the same rainfall as Tel Aviv. Someone said they moved here having researched it! I'm not sure I believe that story but as he is now dead I can't ask. Although until this week it has seemed that way no rain for what seems like months.

I'm still really looking forward to the trip.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Days

We just returned from an 8 day trip to Ireland and it rained every day but one. While sunny skies would have been nice, we didn't go to Ireland for the weather so the rain didn't bother us. Just get yourself a decent rain coat and go for it. Don't let the rain stop you. And remember, it never rains inside a pub. Have fun,

Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Days

This is Ireland. If we let weather forecasts stop us we'd never get out of bed.

They're nearly always wrong anyway - and since Michael Fish's hurricane moment, nearly always err on the dire side!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Days

We like your style, cinderella50! The weatherproof nature of pubs is yet another of their many attractions, and bad weather gives us yet another excuse.......as if one were needed. Slainte!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Days

It rains more in Tel Aviv between January and March than it does in Dublin in total all year. Dublin is not a wet place, and even on wet days it usually won't rain all day. Be flexible and there won't usually be a problem.

Astoria
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy Days

My husband and I stayed in Dublin and did day trips from there when we visited Ireland at the end of June. We spent a rainy day on the seaside peninsula of Howth (a 30-minute DART ride from the city) and had a great time saying hello to the seals looking for handouts, looking out at Ireland's Eye, strollling the walkways by the jettys and boats, and having incredible seafood at Deep Restaurant. The rainy atmosphere actually added to the ambience for us.

We also enjoyed the extensive W.B. Yeats exhibit at the National Museum of Ireland - Library in Dublin, which is just down the block from the Nat'l Museum of Ireland - Archaeology (beautiful gold hoards on display as well as leathery bog bodies and Viking artifacts, among other things). As others have said, you can't let the rain stop you, and there's plenty of wonderful indoor things to see, plus the pubs we went to had great food as well as Guinness! Have a terrific trip!

UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy Days

Many thanks. Just back and enjoyed Howth (in the sunshine)

9. Re: Rainy Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:17