We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights reasonably close to Dublin

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Sights reasonably close to Dublin

We are coming to Dublin on August 18th for 5 days. We've already studied the top questions about Ireland and we are very grateful for all the suggestions.

It will be our first visit to Ireland and we'd like to see as much as possible. As we are used to driving on the right side of the roads we are not very keen on renting a car.

Which interesting places worth seeing are reasonably close to Dublin and can be reached by some sort of public transport? We shall be staying at the Mespil hotel for the whole period of our visit.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

Also, is it crazy to take the 7.45 flight to Kerry and return to Dublin with the 21.25 flight (the same day)?

Oh, and I am sorry, I found the suggestions for the day trips from Dublin.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 19:23
south western...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

TAke the DART out to Howth. Beautiful fishing village with some great hiking trails and lots of interesting looking seafood restaurants and shops.

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

Well if you think about that a train journey takes approx 2 hours to get to Kerry and a plane journey approx 50 mins, the times aren't all that different. It depends on where you want to go too. I believe the Kerry Airport is nearer Tralee, where if you were to take the train, another train is need, if your coming from Dublin from Mallow. This would take another 2 hours approx, with waiting times and that. The plane journey cost approx 50 euro, price the taxi ride to and from the airport to your destination and go by that!

Another trip you could make, by train, is trips out to Kilkenny. Approx 20 euro return, and beautiful city to walk around and take in the atmosphere!

Dublin
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

While in Kerry you would need transport as Farranfore Airport (Kerry Airport) is not that near a town/village. Tralee/Blennerville/Killarney/Castlegregory are all relatively near the airport but again you may need to think about transport.

Regarding Dublin - just a couple of suggestions:

The DART (train) is a great way to travel around Dublin (try CIE website about timetables etc.). The DART goes from Malahide/Howth on the Northside of Dublin to Bray/Greystones which are both in Wicklow. You can also get the suburban trains (which you get info on, on the CIE website too). The suburban trains will go to places such as Skerries/Balbriggan which are both by the sea. You could try to get a bus ticket too when travelling short distances or out to the suburbs too.

Places to visit (in Dublin):

Malahide, Howth, Skerries, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey (all have restaurants/pubs) Trinity College, St. Stephen's Green, The Merrion Hotel (even just to go in for a coffee!!), National Gallery, Hugh Lane Gallery, National Concert Hall (for lunchtime/evening concert, can check prices on their website), The Phoenix Park (where Dublin Zoo is and the President of Ireland's residence is also here)

Places to visit (outside Dublin):

Powerscourt (in Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow - 44 bus from Hawkins Street, Dublin)

Mount Usher (public garden), Co. Wicklow.

Greystones, Co. Wicklow.

Newgrange, Co. Meath (can be booked in the tourist office on St. Andrew Street, Dublin - the tourist office is in a church which is not far from Grafton Street)

Glendalough, Co. Wicklow

Just a couple of suggestions (hope this helps)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

JustRockin,

There are direct trains to Tralee but they take 4 hours each way, not 2 hours!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

Thank you all for very detailed answers, you all were very kind and helpful. I am looking forward to see Dublin!

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

I suggest you take the DART out to Killiney and wander back along the lovely Beverley Hills type roads back to Dalkey making sure to take the Sorrento Road route down to Dalkey. Stop off in Dalkey have lunch, stroll around the shops & pubs and the especially nice homemade cake shop/cafe. Then, if you are up for it walk further down to Sandycove where you can join all the year round swimmers in the 40ft (sea) regardless of the weather. You can get the DART back from Sandycove or you could continue on to Dun Laoghaire.

irelandaerialphotography.com/aerial_photos/f…

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

jrcDublin,

Sorry for the miss information. From my memory it was right.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

Yes, Howth was recommnded to me by many people. I did not make it. You might try looking into Over the Top Tours---we took them to Newgrange, and it was great! They pick you up from City Center and can take you south of the city or to many other destinations.

Astoria
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sights reasonably close to Dublin

I agree with Luxurylady99 about Over the Top Tours -- my husband and I took their Glendalough/Wicklow Mountains tour and it was fabulous! They use little red passenger vans so they can go places the big buses can't, our driver was friendly & entertaining & full of information, and they keep the groups small.

We also went to Newgrange/Boyne Valley but with Bus Eireann, which is one of the two tour groups which allow access to the Newgrange tomb (the other is Mary Gibbons Tours). Again, our driver was friendly & entertaining & full of information. The Bus Eireann website has details on what places are visited on which days of the week (the one we took visited Trim Castle, too).

Each of these trips are full day trips -- one goes north of Dublin, the other south -- and cover a lot of beautiful sites and gorgeous countryside views.

Good journey to you!