We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Allotments for Different Attractions

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
107 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Time Allotments for Different Attractions

We will be in Dublin for 2 days. However, we have booked a tour to Newgrange though Mary Gibbons tours for the second day of our visit and from what I understand that will take up that whole day. On day 1, which will be the day of our arrival from US, we would like to do our city sightseeing. What we'd like to see for sure is Kimainham Jail, Trinity College, St. Patricks Cathedral, & possibly Guinness Storehouse. We would, also, like to do some "dandering" I believe it's called. How much time would the above sites take to adequately see and is all of that way too ambitious for the day we arrive (considering jet lag) - which BTW is a Monday in case that is significant.

One other question, is the Dublin Pass worth it for one day and the above itinerary? I don't believe it covers the Trinity College and we may not make the Guinness Storehouse. So the main thing that makes the Pass glamourous to me is going to the front of the lines but that may not be an issue in Sept. on Mondays.

Dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Allotments for Different Attractions

Kilmainham gaol guided tour is approx an hour, allow additional 30 mins approx for own wandering. Finally you may have to wait for a tour if it is busy. Trinity - this depends, you can briefly visit it i.e look at it and wander through the gates or spend longer if you go to Book of Kells exhibition etc. Patricks cathedral - again you can do a brief visit of grounds or a self guided tour inside. It is not big and an hour should be loads of time. Guinness - thats probably 60-90 mins plus time to have a pint in their roof top bar. The most logical order (distance wise so you can of course reverse and begin with Trinity) would be Kilmainham in the morning, approx 15 min walk to Guinness next, approx 20 min walk to Patricks and approx 15 min walk from there to Trinity. You are then in 'central' Dublin for the evening (although you do not mention where you are staying). Personally I would skip the Guinness tour but thats personal preference and lots has been posted on this forum on this subject. A walk round the old Guinness buildings themselves are interesting and as a fan of 'dandering' I would include this area. You can then walk towards the city centre and take in Christ Church before walking on to Patricks. The walk from Patricks to Trinity will allow you to take in Grafton Street and other central areas. Only you can make the call on how ambitious it is, it does not seem crazy to me. I have no experience with Dublin Pass. Kilmainham can be busy as I said, so perhaps suggest you are there first thing if that works for u. You may need to allow travel time from your hotel as it is not as central as some of the other sites. Good luck!

Edited: 29 July 2010, 15:09
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Allotments for Different Attractions

Would throughly agree with Cailin Og about visiting Kilmainham early.

I passed it yesterday around 2pm and there was very long queue outside! with aprox 25 more people getting of the bus to gain entry. I would allow 2 hrs for the visit.

Go early and then if you were up for a walk cut through the grounds of The Museum of Modern Art (Royal Hospital ,Kilmainham)and continue on to Collin's Barracks via Heuston station. It's an interesting walk with some nice views of Heuston,River Liffey and the Guinness Brewery! Would take about 20 mins to walk from IMMA to Collin's Barracks!

http://www.imma.ie/en/index.htm

Edited: 29 July 2010, 15:14
3. Re: Time Allotments for Different Attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 07:28