We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

I will be staying in Dublin for 2 nights next month.

I was going to book Tara Towers and use buses and trains to get into and out of the city. Will be 2 return trips per day.

Does anyone know how much this will cost per journey?

If it is going to be expensive then I may be better off spending the extra on a city centre hotel and avoid commuting?

All help appreciated.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

bus from city centre to Tara Towers is E1.60 1 way, adult single on the Dart E2.00, adult day return E3.60, 3day pass E10.40. 1 day bus rambler E6.00 , 3 day Rambler E13.30 - I would suggest the 3 day rambler ticket as it can be used on Airlink also.

Hope this helps.

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

Yes it does help thank you.

I don't suppose you know hoe late the buses run?

Dublin
Level Contributor
912 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

There is not much though to do around the Tara Towers hotel - so unless you are getting a real bargin deal I wouldn't be running to check in there. The DART is a bit of a walk from the hotel and the buses can be a bit hit and miss to say the least.

Therefore, I recommend you look at staying in Ballsbridge where there are at least a few more restaurants and lively pubs, or the city centre itself or out past the Tara Towers on the DART line - Dun Laoghiare.

Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge is lovely

The Royal Marine Dun Laoghaire - also excellent www.royalmarine.ie

Personally, I would opt for Dun Laoghaire - on the DART, lovely coastal town and a skip and a hop to Dalkey village which is charming. I think you get the best of both worlds here as you can easily get into Dublin City Centre but you can easily get out!

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

Thank you for the information. I have booked the Lansdowne in Ballsbridge so we are in the area you suggested. Bewleys was a bit out of my price range.

I only have 2 days so staying central to Dublin this time around but thanks for the info on Dun Laoghaire, it's now on my "to do" list!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

Hi,

I've come across this post and wondered if you could help - we are looking to stay at the Royal Marine in Dun Laoghaire for 4 nights and their website states the following

"Dublin City is accessible via the DART train line, which is within 2 minutes walking distance, car parking is complimentary and a coach service is available at the door of the Royal Marine Hotel, to/from Dublin Airport, taking 40 minutes and costs €8 single or €14 return journey."

As their are 5 of us, this would be pretty pricey for just 1 return trip into Dublin - what are the Dart fares as we may be better hiring a car?

Thasnks,

J*

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

DART fares to Dublin city centre from Dun Laoghaire are €4,20 return/round trip per adult.

irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp

Hiring a car and driving around Dublin is a really bad idea - it's likely to be very expensive hire and parking, very timeconsuming and very frustrating. Take a look at the Top Questions about Dublin on the right hand side of the Dublin Forum and click on 'How can I get around Dublin?' for more information on why public transport is the way to go.

A cheaper option for transferring from Dublin Airport to Dun Laoghaire is the 746 Dublin Bus service from outside the terminal at Dublin Airport to Dun Laoghaire (a journey of about 23 km). It's not an express service and takes a lot longer but is also a lot cheaper (€2.20 per adult one way). There's also limited space for luggage.

dublinbus.ie/en/…

We got a great rate at the Royal Marine Dun Laoghaire last month during the World Festival of Cultures and had a really nice stay there. The DART station is very conveninient to the hotel - just a few minutes' walk.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

The 46a bus route will take you to the city centre. It meanders through suburbia.

dublinbus.ie/en/…

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares--Tickets/

dublintourist.com/travel_info/…

Consider a trip to the pretty village of Dalkey via the DART line.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

thank you for the replies, very helpful.

wleasure
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

Hello all,

My wife and I are coming for my birthday in January and I happened across teh Royal Marine. We are hoping to get inasmuch as we can (realizing that we are coming in winter), but I thought this hotel might be a nice option for us. We only have 3 nights in Dublin; arrive on a Friday afternoon and then back to London on Monday.

Should I try to stay in Dublin proper, or is it worth getting into the country to truly experience the famous Irish sea towns? Are there local pubs/restuaunts in this area? How often does the DART run and are there multiple stops in the city cenre.

Other hotels I have been looking at are the Gresham, Arlington, Best Western Premiere.

We are in our late 20's and are not just looking to drink all night.

Thanks for looking.

W

10. Re: Bus and train fares vs city centre hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 05:17