We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktail question. . .

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktail question. . .

Hi Folks,

Coming to Dublin on 20th September for a couple of nights and can't wait. Not been for 11 years almost and looking forward to 'the black stuff'. Wifey though doesn't like Stout or beer so was wondering where we could spend an hour having some cocktails that won't break my budget (and wallet) to bits!

Any help musch appreciated

TheGeeMan

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktail question. . .

Dublin's not exactly a mecca for cheap anything when it comes to drink! But this south city centre place might fit the bill. Cocktails €5 all day every day. We haven't sampled them so can't vouch for the quality.

http://www.capitol.ie/gpage2.html

The area around Lower Stephen Street/South Great Georges Street is also good for good value restaurants. And in recognition of your thoughtfulness on the cocktail front, your other half might indulge you with a few pints in The Long Hall in South Great Georges Street, just around the corner from the Capitol and is one of the nicest of all of Dublin's traditional pubs (it's definitely a favourite of ours), serving one of the best pints:

dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/thelonghall.html

Dublin pubs offer a wide range of drinks other than stout or beer, and some even do cocktails.

Edited: 15 September 2010, 12:57
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktail question. . .

As Tapl says, there is a good mix, and lots of places that will sell cocktails etc. Though most of the old traditional pubs won't. Cocktail places tend to be more modern.

Unfortunately my experience with the 'cheap' cocktails for 5e, is that they aren't worth the money. Watered down, cheap brands of alcohol, but she will be able to get spirits or mixed drinks in any pub.

Some of the best cocktails in Dublin imo are in Solas on Wexford St. http://www.solasbars.com.

http://venu.ie/ also do fantastic cocktails, and is just a stones throw away from Keoghs, one of Dublins best old world style pubs, so you could alternate ;)

The better hotels usually have good cocktails too, ie Westin, Clarence etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocktail question. . .

We're partial to the odd cocktail in the Mint Bar at the Westin (lovely 5 star hotel in Westmoreland Street). Delicious but not cheap.

http://www.thewestindublin.com/the-mint-bar

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocktail question. . .

I doubt if you will find any Wetherspoon's pubs in Dublin, so the best advice is to settle for any pub that serves a pint below four euros.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocktail question. . .

Lots of great suggestions above - but I have to admit my favourite for a cocktail is the Octagon Bar in the Clarence Hotel with a particular fondness for their Mojitos ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocktail question. . .

You could always introduce your wife to the famous 'Black Velvet' cocktail ..... half Guinness half champagne ..... then just find a great pub that has little champagne bottles !!! Another great cocktail? Baby Guinness .... in a shot glass, 2/3 tia maria, 1/3 baileys poured on top .... fantastic !! Enjoy your Dublin trip.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocktail question. . .

Sounds like you could be carrying your wife home. Traditionally the legal spirit levels (optics) are greater in Ireland than they are in the UK but not sure if this is still the case though.

Manchester
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cocktail question. . .

Thanks for all those helpful replies folks, much appreciated.

No worries about visiting some pubs though, although it's been eleven years since my last visit, memories of 'O'Donoghues, The Beggars Bush, The Palace Bar (and more) are still very vivid.

TheGeeMan

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cocktail question. . .

O'Donoghue's and the Palace are pretty much the same as you left them! The Beggar's Bush is a much 'improved' and swanky joint now. Can't remember exactly what shape it was in 11 years ago but back in the 1980s when one of us lived around the corner from it and it was our local, it was a small, neighbourhood pub - a shebeen of a place which looked more like a lean-to than a pub and had a huge pole running right up through the middle of the pub with a table wrapped around it. It sort of redefined 'basic' but we were very fond of it and its clientele who were a different class of drinker to the usual Ballsbridge crowd. We definitely preferred it to its current incarnation. But the nice thing about most traditional pubs in Dublin is that they change very little.

Enjoy Dublin!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cocktail question. . .

Working in Ballsbridge in the 1980's I was one of the usual Ballsbridge crowd that drank in the locality. I am not sure that I was different to any other crowd though. We had some memorable nights in Crowes, Bellamys and on Friday nights sampled the great cocktails in the old Jury's Hotel. Sadly the cocktail bar is gone along with a lot of memories.

To sample cocktails I think you will have to bring your wife to the non traditional watering holes such as

http://www.pod.ie/venue_choc.php

worldsbestbars.com/city/…sam-sara-dublin.htm

A mixed selection of views on this old thgread.

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php…

worldsbestbars.com/city/dublin/cafe-en-seine…