We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rambler 3 Day ticket

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Rambler 3 Day ticket

I'm over in Oct. Arrive on a Tues 8.40am and depart Thursday at 8am. Would the 3 day Rambler ticket be my best option @13 Euros? Don't want to hire a car as I will be in central Dublin most of my time, except popping out to Esker on the Tuesday.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

I take it you mean Esker in Lucan. Yes get the rambler ticket as it also covers you for the Airlink 747/748. They usually cost 6euro each way and that is your Airlink fare from the airport into town covered as well as using it for other buses!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

To be honest, if you are staying in central Dublin most of the time then you'll be able to get to most places on foot. For other journeys your best option might not be bus but LUAS, depending on where you want to go and this isn't covered by the Rambler.

If you are planning to take any of the Airlink services from Dublin Airport to the city centre and back, then a €13 3-day Rambler would cover this and give you unlimited bus use for the three days, which would be very good value (a return Airlink fare on its own is €10).

If you're not planning to use Airlink and are only planning the occasional journey by bus, you might be as well to pay as you go for ordinary Dublin Bus services.

Southampton
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

Thank you for the replies. I'm staying at the Croke Park Hotel and intend to spend my two whole days revisiting my old 'haunts', Drumconda/Whitehall/Dorset St area. All central. Then out to Esker for an hour or so. It seems to me that the 3 days ticket will do me grand.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

Hi again Norman -

Drumcondra and Whitehall, even the Croke Park area would be classed as inner suburbs rather than city centre. So while mostly everything in the city centre is within easy walking distance, buses would come in very handy for trips to the areas you've indicated and as you say the 3 day Rambler will do you grand.

If staying at the Croke Park Hotel, the 16a and 41 bus routes from outside the terminal will drop you close to your hotel (the first Airlink 747 stop is at O'Connell Street and the first Airlink 748 is at Busaras) so would involve a fair bit of a walk or a bus back to Croke Park. The Aircoach also stops close to your hotel but your Rambler won't cover that.

Have fun!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

The 123 is also a regular bus practically every 5 minutes (at peak times) from O'Connell St and will drop you at the junction off Ballybough Rd and Clonliffe Rd just a 5/10 walk to your hotel so would beat walking through the Mountjoy Square area at night!

Southampton
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

Thanks for the bus info, super.

7. Re: Rambler 3 Day ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 08:15