We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Hi you all!

I'm staying in Dublin for a weekend in December. I've been looking on tripadvisor and booking.com but can't seem to make a decision. Over all the good hotels are really expensive.

Do you have any idea's?!

(Staying with my boyfriend, not interested in shopping, more cultural things, little local pubs, art galleries etc)

Thanks for your help!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Dublin has the cheapest hotel rates in western Europe at the moment - we've been getting great bargains over the past year or so and the best rates are usually on a room only basis. We managed to book the Grafton Capital, a popular three star hotel in a great south city centre location close to Grafton Street (and close to museums, galleries, shopping and great restaurants, cafes, bars and traditional pubs) and St. Stephen's Green for €59 per night on a room only basis for a weekend in December but we booked it over a month ago. It could be that your chosen weekend is clashing with a major event which, as is pretty much the case everywhere, tends to reduce supply and push prices up.

You've left it quite late to book as December can be a busy time and the cheapest rates can disappear the closer to your dates you get. What dates are you looking at? What is your budget in euro? Are there particular hotels you are considering and want some feedback to help make a decision?

We've just answered a similar question for another poster where we've talked about locations.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k407220…

If you look at the Top Questions about Dublin you'll find a number of recommendations for city centre hotels of a variety of standards, from hostels to five-star. It might help you to take a look at these and then come back if you need any more help with a particular hotel or location. Most city centre hotels will be well placed for easy access on foot to most of the popular sights and attractions, including museums and galleries, and many of Dublin's famous traditional pubs are clustered close together in the city centre. Again you'll find more information about things to see and do, as well as heaps of other useful information about visiting Dublin in the Top Questions section.

Edited: 25 November 2010, 17:47
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Hey!

Thank you for the quick respons. I'm looking for the weekend of the 17th-20th. It was a last minute decision since my plan was to go to Oxford. But I missed out on the cheap flights from Amsterdam. That's why I chose to fly to Dublin first. Then from Dublin to Luton. From there take the bus to Oxford.

Roxford Lodge hotel looks like a good one on Tripadvisor. But I'll check the other posts first and get back to you :)

Thanks again

Dymphie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

We used to live in Oxford and we're still regular visitors. We usually fly to Birmingham (with Aer Lingus, but Ryanair also covers the route) and then take the train from Birmingham International straight to Oxford. The train only takes an hour. If you don't have airline tickets booked yet, we wouldn't wait because there are rarely last minute bargains on these routes and the closer you get to the date, the more expensive fares become. The same applies to UK train tickets - much cheaper when booked well in advance.

Roxford Lodge is not in the city centre. It's in the inner south city suburb of Ballsbridge but is located in the part of Ballsbridge closest to the city centre. It's walkable to the St. Stephen's Green/Grafton Street area and there are a number of regular bus routes which travel down Northumberland Road to the city centre and vice versa if you don't fancy walking. The last buses leave the city centre around 11.30pm.

Edited: 25 November 2010, 19:47
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Hi again ;)

We booked our tickets already and had ha nice offer. Only 8 pounds from Dublin to Luton. I know the train from Birmingham is a lot faster... It's booked and it's ok. We'll take the national express bus from Luton.

Today I'm on my hunting path for a nice hotel again hihi

Are there any area's in Dublin that are a bit like; London Shoreditch, Camden? Or is there a different "funky" area?

Dymph

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Dublin city centre is a whole lot smaller than London so there's less of a sense of discrete districts here than you would get in London (one of us lived there for a decade). While you might get funkier hotels there's no 'funky' district as such similar to Camden, Hoxton etc. - the city centre is just too small for that.

A favourite area for locals and visitors alike is the Grafton Street/St. Stephen's Green area. St. Stephen's Green is a large Georgian Square with a beautiful public park at its heart. Grafton Street is the city's premier shopping street (it's pedestrianised and full of buskers, street artists, etc. particularly at weekends). The surrounding streets teem with great restaurants, some of the best traditional pubs, cafes, bars, little one-off shops, etc. etc. and South William Street is a locus for much of this action (an alternative to the very touristy Temple Bar for locals and discerning visitors!). This area is also very close to a lot of galleries, museums and other major cultural attractions.

The dominant theme in the higher end hotels in the city is one of Georgian or Victorian elegance (the Shelbourne, the Merrion, the Westin, etc). Hotels with a bit of an edge or unusual decor in the city centre include:

- The Morrison

- The Trinity Capital

- The Radisson Blu Golden Lane

- The Fitzwilliam

The Dylan, a boutique hotel, might also suit but it's not in the city centre. It's located in the inner south city suburb of Ballsbridge, about 20 minutes' walk from the St. Stephen's Green area and on a number of bus routes.

Brooks Hotel, a very popular 4 star with a very good reputation, is located in right in the middle of the South William Street area mentioned above.

The Camden Street area of the south city centre (just on the edge of the city centre) has a bit of an 'alternative', gritty vibe with lots of interesting pubs, cafes and good music venus but it is only a few minutes walk from St. Stephen's Green/Grafton Street anyway. With such a compact city centre, where you stay isn't so much of an issue as it is in larger capital cities such as London. Also, Camden Street itself isn't well endowed with accommodation options - choices include the three star Camden Court and the two star budget Camden De Luxe.

Edited: 26 November 2010, 09:27
Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Hiya,

The Gresham Hotel on o'connell st is very nice and is central to everything.There is a great Irish bar called Madigans just next door which has a great buzz and pub grub is excellent!

Cassidy,s Hotel on Parnell St which is at the top of oconnell st is 170 euro for 2 nights and is good value. Try Dublinpubscene.com to look up where to go.

west of ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

Hi,

Go onto www.hotelsearchengines.net and put in yor dates it will show all available hotels and rates. I have used this lots of times, I had a quick look and there is lots available and some great prices.

Hope this helps.

Regards

N.

Dorset
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

A good 3 star hotel right on O'Connell Bridge is the Arlington O'Connell Bridge. A short distance from Halfpenny Bridge and into Temple Bar. Local entertainment every night and a great breakfast. Henry Street, for shopping just round the corner and not far to walk to Grafton Street and St Stephens Green. Dublin is beautifully lit up for Christmas and very much worth a visit. Fitzgeralds pub on the opposite side of O'Connell Bridge is welcoming and reasonably priced. A good way to get from airport to city and back is to buy a Rambler ticket at the Tourist Information Desk at the airport. This ticket will get you there and back cheaply, whilst also giving you use of the buses around the city during your stay.

Dorset
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

I meant to add that I've usually found Expedia to be cheapest. Alpharooms has also been good.

Dorset
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area is best to stay + hotel recommendations

For a bit of culture try;

Kilmainham Jail

Trinity College and The Book Of Kells

Writers Museum Parnell Square

Michael Collins Barracks National Museum

Pearse Museum St Endas Park ( 16 bus from city centre )

Christchurch Cathedral

Hop on Hop off bus tours well worth the time and money.