We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Weekend in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Storrs, Connecticut
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Weekend in Dublin

Would Easter weekend be a good time to be in Dublin? I understand that many things close down for Good Friday, but we would arrive early Saturday am and stay until Tuesday. Surprisingly, our preferred accommodations are available that weekend. We would begin our trip there, traveling west on Tuesday.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
714 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

A lot of people desert the city at Easter because it's a long weekend, so it'll be easy to travel around at look at places - what places will be open for visitors is another matter ! AND ALL the pubs/ entertainment venues will be closed on Good Friday ! ( Good Friday/Christmas Day - only 2 days in the year when ye can't 'enjoy' yerselves in the Emerald Isle !)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

The shops will be open on Good Friday. After all these years of living in Ireland I still cannot understand that you can go out on Good Friday and buy a car, a suite of furniture, clothes to put into your wardrobe and whatever else your heart desires but you absolutely cannot go to a pub afterwards and have a drink!

Storrs, Connecticut
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

Thanks for the info. We won't be arriving until Saturday, so we'll miss the Good Friday closings. I'm mostly concerned with tourist attractions being closed in the city, not so concerned about the pubs as we will be traveling with kids. Here, everything shuts down for Easter Sunday except the retail stores. Heaven forbid someone miss out on a single day of shopping and be forced to spend time with their families on Easter Sunday!

Also, the Monday after Easter is a remembrance day there, is it not? Any events in the city to commemorate the day? Closings?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

Everything should be "normal" on Easter Monday, meaning that shops will be open. Are you planning to visit any particular attractions? Let me know and I can try to find out whether they're open. I think everything will be open, after all, it is kind of the start of the tourist season.

Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

We're there for Easter... planning on hiking some of the wicklow way which is some 120KM long!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

We will be arriving in Dublin Saturday evening. I see from previous posts that shops will be open on Easter Sunday but what about pubs/restaurants? How about the Guinness Storehouse, is it closed on Sundays (Easter Sunday)? Just looking for options for a Religious Holiday Sunday.

Thanks

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

The Easter Rising commemoration will be on the Sunday rather than the Monday for some reason. It means that much of the city centre - O'Connell street and immediate environs, will be restricted vehicle access on easter Sunday morning but pedestrians will be able to get around - at least that has been the case in previous years.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

WE will be there on Good Friday too. Are any places open to eat? Do you think the hotel restaurants will be open?

I didn't even think about this. Oh geez!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

Have a look at this information about Good Friday

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k17829…

California
Level Contributor
519 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter Weekend in Dublin

We were there during Easter weekend last year. We flew out on Easter Sunday. All the restaurants were closed on Good Friday. We ended up going on a train tour to the Cliffs of Moher on that day, but when we came back we were forced to eat in the hotel restaurant.

If you are worried of having nothing to do on Friday I would highly recommend a tour like that. It was amazing.

Nothing seemed to be affected at all on Saturday. We shopped around and did the Guinness and Jameson tours.