We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

I've just returned from a weekend in Dublin and whilst I knew it was an expensive city I had no idea just how expensive it was. The costs of buying drink and eating was literally prohibitive. Even searching for 'more reasonable' prices was difficult and when you found somewhere affordable to eat, portions were small and the quality was low, so it was a false economy really. Expect to pay €4.90 - €5.10 for a pint of Guiness or glass of wine, upwards of €18 for a main course (sometimes double this), circa €12 for a starter, anywhere from €4.50 upwards for a basic sandwich.

A main course at an Indian restaurant costs €15 upwards (that's not a meal...that's just the main course!). Sorry, but whichever way you look at it, that is expensive.

I know that many people within this forum have compared the prices to other major cities - Rome, London etc - and suggested that prices are roughly the same. Trust me there not, far from it. I work in London frequently and have been to Rome several times. Prices are considerably higher. I was able to compare several products that I can buy locally and in some cases they were twice the retail price.

It's a shame as the City is great as are the people, but be warned...if you going to Dublin expect to pay outrageously high prices for everything.

As at the time of writing €15.00 = £12.80

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
830 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

Did you leave Temple Bar? I live and work in Dublin and I eat/drink in the city very often, and I never pay €5 for a pint of guinness. I also regularly pay far less than the prices you mentioned in pretty decent restaurants. If you eat & drink in the tourist area of Temple Bar (where the locals rarely go) then you can expect to pay tourist prices. Last week I drank Guinness in two pubs in the south city and paid €3.90 for a pint of guinness in one and €4.20 in the other.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

You also have to take account of the fact that sterling is weak. Until recent years your €15 would have have cost you £10, as the € was worth about 67pence. So that is a 28% differential.

I agree that Dublin is not a cheap city for eating out, or drinking. It is however, one of the best capitals for accommodation costs.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

If you are going to any major city it pays to do your homework first. Yes you will pay more in Dublin and many places in Ireland than you will in West Yorkshire trust me I was brought up there. But as you say its no more than you would pay in many parts of London, Paris, Rome etc etc. Don't expect Wetherspoons prices but the locals will tell you where to go if you just take the time to ask. Hopefully its a lesson learned and you'll come back prepared next time.

Edited: 07 December 2010, 15:59
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

I agree with the last poster - Dublin (and even moreso throughout the county) offers cheaper hotel rates.

Accelerator; if you wanted to visit Ireland on a budget, going to the capital (particularly the more touristy parts of the city) might not have been the best choice as prices are lower outside of the pale.

Consumables are quite expensive in Dublin; this may be of interest:

guardian.co.uk/news/…city-costs-living

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

Hi Tony - posted at the same time with (almost) the same content!

Happy Christmas...... if we don't bump into each other on the forum in the meantime:)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

Can't say I found Dublin any more expensive than London - we visited both cities this year. Our accommodation in Dublin was good value: €168 for two nights in a spacious family room at Bewleys Ballsbridge. And we enjoyed a really nice meal at Yamamori, which wasn't expensive at all (I must write a review!) and had breakfast at Bewleys on Grafton Street, which again, I don't think was more than one would pay in other cities in Europe.

Ha - recently visited Venice. Now there's an expensive destination!! We had morning coffee at Florian's in St Mark's Square and paid €7 each for a 2-sip cup of coffee, €9 for a pot of tea. Cappuccino cost €8.50. Sandwiches ranged from €9.50 to €14.50, and cakes were €11.50 each. But - this was a special event, and we'd researched here on Tripadvisor, so knew what to expect.

What a shame you didn't discover Tripadvisor before your visit to Dublin. The destination experts and regular contributors to the Dublin Forum have created some really helpful pages on where to eat and drink on a budget:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186605-c121294/Dubli…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k304789…

and there's lots more helpful information about making the most of your time in the city on a budget if you look at the right-hand side of the main Dublin forum page listed under "Top Questions":

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186605-i90-Dubl…

Totally agree with you about the City: great place and great people! I can't wait to go back and spend a few days there, as we only had 2-nights/1 day to explore, which really wasn't enough time.

Maybe with the information above, you could be tempted back too??

:-)

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

As a regular visitor to Ireland I can understand where the origional poster is coming from but as everyone says you can get cheaper than the centre of Dublin,indeed we avoid the centre these days,on our last visit we paid more than 5 Euro for a pint,one thing that does surprise me tho' is the comment about meal sizes,we've had quite the opposite expereience & been amazed how big they usually are.

Sadly human nature is such IMO that on ones first visit to anywhere you will want to visit the tourist areas which are always going to be dearer,it's then a matter of whether or not you go back & see the 'real' country,it's superb & well worth it!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

I have to say, I agree with the original poster, Dublin is expensive. Often the price doesn't reflect the product or service received, obviously us locals can vote with our feet and never visit these establishments again but tourists are more vulnerable and one bad experience can put a downer on the holiday. I'm sure most of the regulars on here can name at least one restaurant and one bar in Dublin they will never return to!

As far as Temple Bar is concerned, yes, it is more expensive than most parts of the city but that doesn't mean you can't get a bad deal anywhere else, I was recently charged €8.00 for a house wine in a bar in the IFSC area!

OP, please come back to Dublin soon and let us tell you all the good spots, along with some bad and some ugly too!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

Even in Dublin, you can get food at decent prices, if you opt for Early Bird Menus, for example. I was checking out menupages earlier today and here is a list of the Special Offers running currently:

http://www.menupages.ie/offers.aspx

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin is Outrageously Expensive

Two brief points. In some cases Irish restaurants haven't reduced their mainine prices but have provided value in the form of a fixed menu, early bird etc as Uasal said. Secondly, Indian food is a relatively inexpensive staple in Britain, this is not the case in Ireland where Indian is something you eat as a treat when you want to pay more than in a Chinese or Italian restaurant.