We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on April Itinerary

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
Feedback on April Itinerary

I’m planning a trip to Ireland in April for me and my boyfriend from April 3rd to the 15h. We will be flying out of Philly on the 3rd and landing the morning of the 4th in Dublin. We’ll be staying in Dublin the whole time for this trip but we want to take some trips outside of Dublin to see certain sights while we’re there. I’m looking at doing two days in Galway to see the Cliffs of Moher and Kylemore Abbey as well as one day in Wicklow to see the area as well as the Manchester V Fulham game in Manchester that is the main reason for going according to my avid footie fan boyfriend.. The itinerary looks a little something like this.

3rd-Fly Out

4th- Arrive. HOHO tour to get bearings and then just walk around Dublin seeing people and sights.

5th- Trinity College and Walking Tour of Dublin. Kilmainham Gaol and possibly doing Faeries, Food and Folklore Dinner at Brazen Head.

6th- Galway Connemara and Kylemore Tour.

7th- Galway Cliffs of Moher Tour

8th- Dublin to see St. Stephens, National Museum Archaeology and a few other sites.

9th- Manchester v Fulham game in Manchester.

10th. Dublin

11th- Dublin

12th- Wicklow and Glendalough Tour with Over the Top Tours

13th- Dublin

14th- Dublin

15th- Dublin/Fly home in afternoon

Theres obviously some gaps in the itinerary as we try and decide what in Dublin we want to do. I just want to know if this itinerary seems too ambitious for those of you who have been on these kind of trips before or if it seems feasible at all. Further information is we’re both in our late 20’s and this is his first trip to Ireland but not mine as I visited Belfast and Wicklow and Kylemore when I was a student in England. I’d appreciate any feedback on how the plans look, if you all think this is a too much in not enough time or if it seems feasible. I’m not sure yet how we’ll get to the Man U game (Either fly from Dublin or take a ferry and then the train) but I have traveled in Manchester before so that’s not too big a deal for me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

I think you'll be fine. You're already doing yourself a huge favor by not trying to pack in too many locations. You'll find plenty to do in Dublin. Half the battle there is trying to find things, so that will eat up a lot of your time. However, in getting lost, you find all sorts of great things, so it will be okay. Make sure not to miss the Guinness Storehouse.

Hop the #20 Bus Eireann when you go to Galway - it's a direct bus that takes about 3 hours. Very easy. Just ask any tourist center where the nearest Bus Eireann stop is. You'll find easy buses to the Cliffs from there.

Wicklow is one of the loveliest towns I encountered in Ireland. The Southeast of Ireland has some severely underrated scenery, I discovered. If you can, make a trip to the historic gaol in the town center. So interesting, SO creepy, and so much fun. That is also a town with a very, very pretty coastline.

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Thanks. I'm planning to nail down my exact itinerary while in Dublin closer to the time we go. I know what sights we want to visit but also want a day or two to just wander to see what we run across and what we find. We're staying at the Maldron Parnell Square so we'll be fairly close to things and easily able to hop on to the LUAS or bus if need be. I'm researching the forums and trip reviews I see here every day trying to get it all sorted so thanks for your suggestions. :) I figure worst come to worst we can always cut the Galway stuff down to just visiting the Cliffs of Moher one day and doing Wicklow one day. That with going to the Man U v Fulham game may be more than enough but we shall see. But definitely have to check Guiness Buildings out to explore a bit and let the BF try proper Guiness and not the canned stuff hes tried here in the US.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Haha, right on. I could tell a noticeable difference between the Guinness here and proper Guinness. Suggestion though: If you don't have much time, don't bother with the Cliffs. Trust me. The entire island is full of 360-degree views, so by the time you get to the Cliffs they won't seem all that exciting.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

I don't think skipping Galway/Connemara is a good idea - You'll be in Dublin for so long, it'd be quite easy to get to Galway for 2 days/1 night. Keep it on the radar ... Although I agree the Cliffs CAN be missed, for first timers, they are quite spectacular. You could even rent a car from Dublin for 2 days to get out there and back on your own time.

Howth is a quick trip from Dublin - Lovely seaside town... Combine with a trip to Malahide Castle or Newgrange and you have a nice day trip with very little travel.

Make sure you stay flexible with the Wicklow mountains- I went in July and it was literally 45 degrees with 60 MPH winds! A proper hurricane! The forecast is a great reason to keep a loose itinerary but save the concrete planning for when you know what the weather will be like. If you see a sunny day near Galway, head straight out ! Same for the other spots.

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Yeah, we're staying pretty flexible with when we go where we want to go but we do want to decide where we want to go ahead of time so we can pick when depending on weather. And Im not entirely sure that sentence made sense. :) But yeah, hopefully all these little sidetrips and the big trip to Man to see United and Fulham isnt too much. I want him to soak up Dublin and Ireland more than I want him to see footie. Though can't tell him that. lol

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
517 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Google Newgrange. UNESCO world heritage site less than an hour journey north of Dublin. If your into ancient tombs and mystery then this might set your imagination in overdrive!! The Game with United and Fulham is getting near the end of the season so will be a tense affair and will prob. be a sellout. Have you got Tickets yet??? Check the Man U website

Enjoy your trip

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Newgrange was a potential for me if I could drag the boy. No on the tickets at the moment but my friend in Manchester is working on it for me. He knows he can get tickets for certain its just how much they'll be. lol. And yeah. Besides most importantly Fulham has some Clint Dempsey for my other half. Hes a huge American soccer team fan and has never seen a proper footie match so why not go for broke with two great teams. (Though I prefer Arsenal!) But Newgrange or Knowth were two possibilities for me though is it true they only give a limited number of tickets each day for people to see the tombs?

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
517 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Yes, the tomb can only hold a small number of people at a time ,but if you get to the site fairly early eg before Noon you should have no problems getting into the tomb. I always take friends to visit around this time and have never been refused access yet. If you are sure you have tickets in the bag for the United game then you are good to go, else you could be disappointed , Be aware!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

Hi geekygirllyn

Don't skip the Galway trip, you have loads of time! You can take the bus to Galway and it's fairly inexpensive though both of your day trips will be by bus I imagine so maybe for a change of scenery the train would be better? What time do you plan on arriving in Galway as I seem to remember the tours to the Cliifs/Burren and the Conamarra/Kylemore Abbey all leave quite early, between 9am and 10am, will you be there on time, or can you take a late bus down the night before? I don't remember any afternoon only tours.

If you are positive that you can get tickets to the game I would book flights now as the price will only increase (I know from experience) Are you planning on flying in and out the same day? Tickets for Man U are usually around £55 (€65/$85) Check what time the match is at and then see if the boat schedule suits, sometimes it doesn't. If you're stuck/desperate Eurolines run a bus service in conjunction with Bus Eireann to Manchester leaving Dublin around 7pm and getting to Manchester at about 5.30am, the return journey is overnight too! Prices range from €50-€70 ($65-$90)

Best of luck! And as other posters advised, try and get to Newgrange if you can!

10. Re: Feedback on April Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:19